Retail Sales Associate
Vice President of Business Operations/Lead Retail Sales Associate
Hours: Part-time; 25 hours/week; varying schedule
Purpose of Position: Provide outstanding customer service to clients purchasing items in the Animal Outfitters retail store.
This position description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees are required to follow any other job related duties assigned by their supervisor. This document does not create an employment contract implied or otherwise, and does not alter the “at?will” relationship.
- Provide excellent in-person customer service to customers
- Explain product use and make recommendations based on customer and pet needs
- Balance cash drawer and receipts daily
- Assist with pricing and displaying items
- Ensure the store is kept organized and clean
- Assist with physical inventory as needed
- Perform other duties assigned by the Lead Retail Sales Associate and the Vice President of Business Operations
- High school diploma or GED
- Previous retail sales and/or customer service experience
- Must be a self-starter
- Ability to exercise independent judgment
- Be comfortable and skilled working with a culturally diverse staff and community
- Affection for animals, concern for their welfare and willingness to accommodate animals in the workplace
- Must possess maturity, good judgment and professional manner and personal appearance
- Must be considerate, respectful and display a helpful demeanor to all employees, volunteers and customers
- Must be able to work cordially, safely and efficiently in face-paced, stressful conditions
- Must exhibit the organization core values of compassion for all animals, respect and dignity for all, strive for excellence and teamwork
- Ability to respectfully give and receive feedback
- Ability to work independently and part of a team
- Minimum of two years of retail sales experience
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions within the work environment.
- Hours vary depending on schedule. Weekend/evening hours required
- Must be available to work special events as needed.
- The noise level in the office environment is usually quiet, though barking or whining of animals may be escalated at certain times in certain areas of the building
- High exposure to animals whose reactions to the shelter environment cannot be predicted
- Temperatures in the shelter environment are varied, though usually moderate, and dependent on the season
- Potential exposure to zoonotic diseases and hazardous chemicals
- Ability to work around animals without severe allergic reactions
- As work may need to be done outside of the shelter, the employee may encounter environmental issues outside of our control such as fallen tree limbs, rain storms or snow/ice. When this occurs the employee must report the issues immediately to their direct supervisor who will work to resolution.
- Use of all extremities
- Ability to lift a minimum of 50 pounds
- Good vision for detailed work
- Good coordination
The Nebraska Humane Society provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, status as a veteran, or any other protected category, in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
Nothing in this job description restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.