Position Title: Surgical Tech – Non-Certified Part-Time 2nd Shift
Last Revised: 10/20/2011
Position Purpose: The Surgical Technologist (ST) is responsible for the provision of patient care to meet identified patient outcomes, and to achieve the goals of the facility as directed by the Registered Nurse. The ST performs duties according to scope of practice designated by the facility position description, role and responsibilities and according to the surgical technologist professional organization.
Position Reports to: Clinical Leader/Registered Nurse
Position Supervises: None
Degree of Supervision Provided to Position:
Medium, must be self-directed and works under direction of the Clinical Leader/Registered Nurse.
Education, Experience, and Licensure:
High School Graduate or Equivalent. Prior Experience as an ORT preferred. Successful completion of BCLS Course within 90 days of employment or documentation of current BCLS certification. Certification is preferred.
Internal Relationships (Works Closely With):
As a representative of Surgical Care Affiliates, all comments, attitudes, actions, and behaviors have a direct effect on the Facility’s image and perceptions of quality service. Interaction with patients, families, physicians, referral sources, affiliating schools, visitors, volunteers, co-workers, supervisors, vendors, etc. must be in a manner that is friendly, supportive, courteous, respectful, cooperative, and professional. This behavior should promote an atmosphere of teamwork, which is congruent with Facility standards and guidelines to promote positive relations.
- Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to correlate clinical data with patient’s care under the direction of the Clinical Leader/Registered Nurse.
- Ability to set priorities.
- Ability to provide direction to others that is clear, concise and promotes efficiency throughout the clinical areas of the facility.
- Ability to communicate well with patients, families, Teammates, physicians, other members of the healthcare team, etc.
- Recognizes legal and policy limits of individual practice.
- Clinical Quality:
- Delivers safe patient care as directed by the Registered Nurse and according to facility policy and procedure.
- Ensures provision of patient care daily in an organized and timely manner.
- Adheres to all policies and procedures when providing patient care.
- Demonstrates knowledge of specific responsibilities in all emergency situations.
- Demonstrates ability to respond to patient care needs in an emergency situation and under direction of Clinical Leader/Registered Nurse.
- Initiates and implements basic cardiopulmonary resuscitation (BCLS) under the direction of the Clinical Leader/Registered Nurse.
- Demonstrates ability to meet patients and family's learning needs as identified in the plan of care under the direction of the Clinical Leader/Registered Nurse.
- Orients the patient and family to the patient care environment and facility routines as directed by Clinical Leader/Registered Nurse.
- Assists the Clinical Leader/Registered Nurse to implement the teaching plan for the patient and family as directed.
- Assists the Clinical Leader/Registered Nurse to provide appropriate interventions related to patient and environmental safety issues.
- Demonstrates appropriate knowledge and competence of designated skills identified for position.
- Completes competencies and competencies checklists for education and training specific to job position, duties, role and responsibilities and according to facility policy and schedule.
- Functions as a certified scrub technician in the operating room/ procedure room under the direction of the Registered Nurse.
- Assists with gowning and gloving other members of the surgical team.
- Assists with the preparation of the operating room for surgical procedures.
- Assists with skin preparations and with draping of patients.
- Assists with care, preparation, maintenance and after-care of sterile and un-sterile supplies and equipment.
- Knows and practices the principles and procedures of sterile technique.
- Handles specimens in accordance with facility policy and procedures.
- Removes drapes at end of procedure, cleanses the patients of prep solution and applies dressing as needed.
- Cleans and/or disinfects instruments and equipment after use and returns it to the proper area for storage or processing.
- Differentiates sterilization methods required for specific instruments and equipment.
- Participates in sponge, instrument and needle count with the circulating nurse.
- Demonstrates ability to understand and use sterilizers, high-level disinfectors, instrument washers, and other designated processors.
- Demonstrates ability to understand use, function, interpretation, documentation, and record-keeping of chemical and biological indicators related to instrument and equipment high-level disinfection and sterilization processes.
- Demonstrates understanding of operating room/procedure room technical equipment according to manufacturer’s guidelines, policy and procedures.
- Assists with stocking, replenishing and preparation of supplies.
- Updates knowledge in surgical techniques and related nursing care.
- Checks updated schedule every morning and prepares room supplies and equipment.
- Utilizes time effectively.
- Follows established facility policies and procedures with regard to attendance.
- Maintains attendance according to guidelines and policy established by facility.
- Adheres to tardiness policy.
- Provides notification for unscheduled absences or tardiness in accordance with established departmental procedures as noted by supervisor.
- Requests scheduled time off according to procedure as noted by supervisor.
- Completes all documentation to ensure the availability of accurate and up to date information in accordance with established standards.
- Adheres to established facility safety requirements and procedures to ensure a safe working environment.
- Demonstrates to competent usage of proper body mechanics in all activities.
- Identifies potentially unsafe situations and notifies supervisor.
- Completes all employee/patient incident documentation in a thorough and timely manner, as required by facility policy.
- Demonstrates complete understanding of established emergency procedures for department and surgery center.
- Practices infection control and standard precautions as instructed or trained.
- Assists with housekeeping tasks as necessary to provide a safe environment for patients, teammates, physicians, guests.
- Performs all other duties as assigned by manager.
- Continuous Improvement:
- Maintains and evaluates own clinical expertise and clinical practice.
- Attends 75% of unit based staff meetings and demonstrates review of minutes for any meetings missed.
- Provides in-services as requested by management
- Participates in scheduled performance appraisals and demonstrates dedication to ongoing performance improvement.
- Responsibly demonstrates and the importance of continuing education to the performance of facility responsibilities and growth in profession.
- Maintains and displays appropriate knowledge of professional developments through printed material or other sources.
- Attends professional training seminars when appropriate for job development and shares information with other Teammates.
- Attends and participates in all applicable facility training and development workshops scheduled by the facility
- Maintains work area and equipment in an organized and clean manner
- Maintains dress and appearance according to standards as observed by management
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of job description, role, and responsibilities through continuing education activities
- Maintains certification requirements and submits required evidence of certification to facility management for teammate file
- Strives to be professional, courteous, helpful and cooperative.
- Performs all other duties as assigned by management.
- Upholds and practices the principles and policies of the SCA Compliance program.
- Demonstrates competency in performing job task, role and responsibilities at least on an annual basis.
- Demonstrates the safe operation of equipment and machinery and follows procedures for reporting and correcting an unsafe situation.
- Service Excellence:
- Communicates patient information to assure confidentiality and continuity of care. Protects all patient information according to established standards of care, policies and procedures
- Discusses patient information with other health team members in an appropriate environment
- Interacts with all patients, families, visitors and fellow employees in a mature, responsible manner to ensure a positive and professional environment
- Displays a caring and responsive attitude and conducts all activities respecting patient, family and employee rights and expectations
- Maintains confidentiality of all facility and patient information as required by facility policy
- Fosters a positive and professional surgery center environment by interacting with all persons in a considerate, helpful and courteous manner and by participating as a team member
- Diffuses/resolves conflict by appropriately communicating with those involved
- Accepts developmental and motivational feedback and gives suggestions in a professional manner
- Considers age specific needs in caring for and communicating with patients and family/guests
- Financial Skill:
- Completes appropriate financial management responsibilities.
- Provides input re: equipment needs/supply needs.
- Completes patient charges in accordance with facility procedure.
- Demonstrates sound cost containment techniques.
- Participates in periodic inventory count as assigned by management.
- Proficiency or Productivity Standards
ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS: Indoors in climate controlled environment. Patient care environment with potential exposure to unpleasant odors, to blood and body fluids which may carry infection, to infectious disease, and to chemical and electrical hazards. Occasional exposure to outdoor climate.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Good visual acuity, accurate color vision. Ability to lift/transfer patients in excess of 100 pounds, which may require pushing, pulling and essentially utilizing a full range of body movement. Ability to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch and/or crawl. Ability to reach, grasp, use fine finger movement and feel fine sensation to discern temperature, texture, size and shape. Ability to speak and hear.
MACHINES/EQUIPMENT USED: Clinical equipment used for patient care, i.e., suction machine, Accucheck. Office equipment: computer, Xerox machine, addressograph.