The City of La Vista, Nebraska is accepting applications for a full time Mechanic position in the Public Works department. The starting wage range for this position is $17.20 - $20.72, dependent upon experience and qualifications.
Under the direction of the Shop Foreman, performs a variety of skilled and semi-skilled manual labor tasks in mechanical work and routine preventative maintenance on equipment.
Essential Functions: (with or without reasonable accommodation)
- Performs mechanical repairs and routine preventative maintenance on vehicles and equipment including oil changes, anti-freeze changes, tire repairs, minor tune-ups, headlight and wiper replacement.
- Transports parts and tools to and from various locations for mechanics and maintenance workers.
- Equipment and vehicle washing.
- Picks up and delivers City vehicles from various locations.
- Performs building and grounds maintenance including; sweeping floors, emptying trash barrels, mowing, line trimming, picking up litter and general clean up.
- Operates power equipment as required.
- Assists in snow removal and sewer, park and street maintenance as needed.
- Performs set up and clean up tasks associated with special community events.
- Engages in snow removal using heavy and light equipment.
- Performs other duties as directed or as the situation dictates.
Essential Physical and Environmental Demands
Work is generally performed indoors year round and occasionally outdoors in varying weather and environmental conditions. Work sites may be dusty, noisy and on occasion, hazardous. Job duties require a considerable amount of physical activity, including walking, standing, kneeling, bending, crouching, reaching and climbing. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to focus. Must be able to hear and understand voices at normal conversational levels. Incumbents must have the ability to transport themselves to and from work sites and lift up to 100 occasionally and as needed pounds. Incumbents must also possess the coordination and manual dexterity necessary to physically access and maneuver on rough terrain. Must be able to physically enter and exit confined spaces, such as sanitary manholes or utility vaults. Incumbent must also be able to work from a ladder at heights greater than four (4) feet and ability to work from a lift in excess of 20 feet.
Education, Training, License, Certification and Experience
- Graduation from an accredited high school or GED.
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license
- Must possess or be able to obtain a valid Nebraska “Class AO” commercial driver’s license within six (6) months of hire.
- Working knowledge of preventative mechanical maintenance.
- Basic knowledge of building and grounds maintenance.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of gas and diesel engine repair.
- Ability to work a varying schedule including evenings, weekends and holidays when necessary.
- Ability to consistently maintain regular and dependable attendance on the job, including attendance and job performance for possibly prolonged periods of time when called out on short notice due to weather conditions, emergencies and similar situations of public necessity.
- Demonstrated ability to accept and follow instructions and work without supervision.
- Basic computer skills.
- Ability to complete daily activities according to work schedule.
- Ability to lift heavy objects 50-100 lbs.
- Ability to operate heavy equipment.
- Ability to walk and stand for long periods of time.
- Ability to work from a ladder at heights greater than four (4) feet.
- Knowledge and understanding of basic safety principles.
- Ability to perform strenuous physical labor under adverse weather conditions.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to safely operate hand and power tools and equipment.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with city officials, fellow employees, patrons and the public.
- Ability to safely operate a welder and cutting torch.
- Ability to perform metal and wood fabrication.
- Occasionally perform major repairs.
Note: Background check, physical examination, and drug screening will follow all conditional offers of employment.
City of La Vista