The SQL Server DBA will be responsible for the implementation, configuration, maintenance, and performance of critical SQL Server RDBMS systems, to ensure the availability and consistent performance of our corporate applications. This is a “hands-on” position requiring solid technical skills, as well as excellent interpersonal and communication skills. NOT AN ARCHITECT!
The successful candidate will be responsible for the development and sustainment of the SQL Server environment, ensuring its operational readiness (security, health and performance), executing data loads, and performing data modeling in support of multiple development teams. This supports an enterprise application suite of program management tools. Must be capable of working independently and collaboratively.
- Manage SQL Server databases through multiple product lifecycle environments, but focused on support of development systems.
- Configure and maintain database servers and processes, including monitoring of system health and performance, to ensure high levels of performance, availability, and security.
- Apply data modeling techniques to ensure development and implementation support efforts meet integration and performance expectations
- Independently analyze, solve, and correct issues in real time, providing problem resolution end-to-end.
- Refine and automate regular processes, track issues, and document changes
- Assist developers with complex query tuning and schema refinement.
- Perform scheduled maintenance and support release deployment activities after hours.
- Share domain and technical expertise, providing technical mentorship and cross-training to other peers and team members.
Skills and Qualifications
- 5+ to 8 years MS SQL Server Administration experience required
- Experience with Performance Tuning and Optimization (PTO), using native monitoring and troubleshooting tools.
- Can work with Automation
- Database restores and maintenance
- QA backup skills
- Multi-dimensional – can learn different environments.
- Experience with backups, restores and recovery models
- Knowledge of High Availability (HA) and Disaster Recovery (DR) options for SQL Server
- Experience working with Windows server, including Active Directory
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Flexible, team player, “get-it-done” personality
- Ability to organize and plan work independently
- Ability to work in a rapidly changing environment
- Ability to multi-task and context-switch effectively between different activities and teams
- MCTS, MCITP, and/or MVP certifications a plus
Failover clustering, SAN replication, and other high availability technologies
- SQL Server merge, peer to peer, or transactional replication
- LINQ, Entity Framework, NHibernate, or other ORMs
- Service Broker
- Analysis Services, Integration Services, or Reporting Services
- Writing T-SQL from scratch, C# code, or generally building anything from scratch
- Troubleshooting application logic or why numbers don’t add up in a report
- Ensure that new database code meets company standards for readability, reliability, and performance
- Design indexes for existing applications, choosing when to add or remove indexes
- Handle complaints about the performance of a particular query, help improve the performance of that query by tweaking it or modifying indexes
- Advise developers on the most efficient database designs (tables, datatypes, stored procedures, functions, etc)
- Writing and improving SQL Server T-SQL queries for at least a year.
- Designing tables and picking datatypes
The following skills aren’t strictly necessary, but a BONUS if you have these skills:
- On-call troubleshooting for SQL Server service outages
- Deciding whether clustering, log shipping, mirroring, replication, etc are the right fit to solve a business problem
- Bachelors required
- Masters preferred