This Outpatient Pharmacy Technician, located in Denver, CO at St. Joseph Hospital, supports the daily workflow of the pharmacy to ensure timely and appropriate distribution of drug therapy. Part time with a varied schedule between the hours of 8:00a -8:00 pm weekdays. Periodic weekend coverage.
1. Assists with all phases of pharmacy services. Works with patients, providers, and insurance companies to obtain prior authorizations. Answers phones and notes from physicians in a timely manner. Accurately reads, interprets and enters prescriptions in a timely manner. Routes questionable prescriptions to the pharmacist for completion. Makes outbound calls / faxing the physicians for prescription clarification, substitutions and formulary changes as needed.
2. Prepares medication orders and delivers prescriptions according to established policies, procedures, and protocols. Accurately types, bills and prepares prescriptions to extent allowed by state and federal rules and regulations. Performs basic calculations to determine doses and correct day supplies to be billed to 3rd party insurance companies. Performs necessary calculations to accurately prepare a compounded prescription.
3. Evaluates and processes approval of prior authorization pharmacy requests from prescribers received by telephone and/or facsimile using client clinical criteria. Communicates pharmacists guidance on appropriateness of medication to physicians, physicians office staff, and medical management staff. Researches, resolves and documents prior authorization outcomes in pharmacy system. Communicates selected prior authorization criteria, pharmacy benefit coverage and formulary alternatives to physicians, physicians office staff, medical management staff and/or pharmacists. Escalates requests to Pharmacist when request requires extensive clinical review or denial. Researches, resolves and documents physician or client inquiries and grievances and provides verbal or written results to client, prescriber, provider and/or management.
4. Handles cash, credit, and check transactions accurately. Reconciles cash drawers and prepares deposits.
5. Files prescriptions hardcopies, reports, and other pharmacy records. Provides information to associates regarding available pharmacy benefits and services. Completes inventory duties as scheduled, including outdates and overstock returns to wholesaler. Places orders for pharmacy inventory and supplies. Maintains cleanliness of pharmacy work areas and works to ensure a clutter-free work environment.