The Pharmacist provides drug information and assists physician in providing appropriate drug therapy for pediatric, adult, and geriatric patients. Compounds, prepares, mixes, manufactures and dispenses medicines and preparations. Oversees medications prepared by Pharmacy Technicians.
- Interprets physician orders and intervenes when appropriate for clarification or correction.
- Reviews the patient profile for allergies, interactions, and appropriateness before dispensing.
- Checks dosage for appropriateness for pediatric, adult and geriatric patients.
- Carefully checks the work of Technicians before initialing labels. Directs Technicians to perform tasks appropriate to current priorities.
- Provides accurate drug information to other health professionals and lay persons where requested.
- Participates in interdisciplinary staff meetings and medical staff meetings.
Quality Improvement and Participation
- Performs nursing station inspections as assigned by the Director.
- Participates in medication use evaluations, records Pharmacist interventions, and adverse drug events.
- Attends departmental Pharmacist meetings.
- Completes controlled drug records accurately.
- Attends inservices for self-development. Teaches classes within the department to Nursing or medical staff when appropriate.
· The information above is for summary purposes, and is not intended to be a comprehensive list of essential functions.