Under supervision of the pharmacy supervisor and/or Staff Pharmacists, fills orders for unit dose, pre-packaged pharmaceuticals, and intravenous solutions in accordance with state and federal codes and regulations.
- Ensures availability of accurate pharmaceutical supplies to ancillary units by reading order, entering order data into computer, filling requisitions and delivering floor and narcotic stock orders.
- Prepares intravenous solutions within standard protocol and aseptic techniques by reading and interpreting orders, calculating proper volume levels of additives needed, performing mathematical volume conversions, labeling prepared solutions, cleaning hood and IV area and restocking medications.
- Assists with the accurate and timely dispensing of daily patient medications by replenishing medicine carts for nursing units and filling routine patient orders for pharmaceuticals.
- Conducts rounds to all floors in order to deliver medications generated by new physician orders, retrieve narcotics requisitions, and deliver intravenous solutions.
- Assists with dispensing and control of narcotics by filling orders, recording narcotics dispensed, delivering narcotics to the floor, matching daily narcotic receipts with controlled substance sheets, and performing an inventory of all narcotics dispensed that day.
- Answers phone, responds to routine questions, and notifies Pharmacist if needed.
- Counts, compounds and repackages pharmaceuticals using established procedures.
- Processes admissions, transfers, and discharge information by adjusting patient data in computer, entering charges, changing medication cart to proper patient room, and retrieving sealed items back to inventory, if appropriate.
- Generates an automatic stop report on those medications targeted as requiring such. This auto discharge notice is placed on those patients charts who are on these drugs. The Pharmacy Technician adjusts patient profile accordingly to reflect physicians desire to continue or discontinue said drug.
- Monitors supply levels, notifies appropriate staff if reorder is needed, rotates stock, and removes expired medications. Ensures main dispensing area and IV area are stocked adequately. Shelves new stock, making sure that the manufacturers storage requirements are observed.
- Performs other related duties as assigned to support achievement of Pharmacy goals and objectives.
· The information above is for summary purposes, and is not intended to be a comprehensive list of essential functions.