This position assists the Cardiovascular surgical team (CVOR) by acting as the primary scrub person who handles the instruments, supplies and equipment during surgical procedures. Maintains constant vigilance for the maintenance of the sterile field.
- Checks supplies/instrumentation and equipment needed for surgical procedures and ensures they are working properly.
- Opens sterile supplies and sets up the table for each surgical procedure.
- Provides a sterile field for surgical procedures. Ensures that the members of the surgical team are properly attired and assists the surgeon with draping the patient to isolate the operative site.
- Assists in the maintenance of the sterile field by applying principles of aseptic techniques and informing the surgeon/surgical team of infractions.
- Passes instruments and supplies to the surgeon.
- Counts sponges and sharps with the RN prior to the surgery and before the incision is closed.
- Cleans and prepares the instruments for sterilization.
- Assists in the maintenance of specialty surgical services.
- Prepares the sterile dressing for the patient's incision.
· The information above is for summary purposes, and is not intended to be a comprehensive list of essential functions.