Simon Contractors was founded nearly 50 years ago in 1954 by James E. Simon. In December, 1994, the growth, diversity and quality work of Simon Contractors got the attention of Colas and they acquired Simon Contractors.
Since its inception, Simon Contractors has completed projects in most states west of the Mississippi River. Today, Simon Contractors, a Colas company, still operates with the integrity, quality and reliability it was founded on 50 years ago - a distinction the company is proud to have fostered, and one that it is determined to continue.
In May 2002, Simon Contractors acquired McAtee Paving Company/Sterling Redi-Mix in Sterling, Colorado. Under Simon Contractors, McAtee Paving Company/Sterling Redi-Mix has continued to flourish as a concrete products contractor and supplier in the Sterling area and across the state of Colorado.
We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of:
Summary: Oversees and directs all phases of construction projects; reads and interprets plans, proposals, specifications, and other documentation to prepare bid quotes; coordinates bonds, insurance, and subcontractors.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following; other duties may be assigned:
- Partner with management and supervisory team to effectively utilize all resources, including personnel in order to complete assigned construction projects
- Compile and analyze data on all factors that influence costs, including materials, labor, location, and equipment; assist with cost-control system set-up
- Compute cost factors and prepare estimates used for management purposes such as planning, organizing, and scheduling work; preparing bids; selecting vendors or subcontractors; and determining cost effectiveness
- Organize and manage a centralized cost estimating database and a formal process to support cost estimating to ensure historical data is utilized.
- Order, read, and interpret plans and proposals; review preliminary drawings and specifications
- Visit site of projects and gather information on access to sites, including availability of electricity, water, and other services as needed
- Prepare project-cost summaries, standard estimating forms (bids) and related contracts for submission
- Prepare and maintain time-phase charts, subcontracts, purchase orders, orders materials, and schedules
- Prepare and execute DOT documents
- Make decisions concerning equipment needs, sequence of operations, and required staffing
- Maintain effective working relationships and effectively communicate with subcontractors and company business departments; support other department personnel as required
- Participate in bid review meetings with owner or owner’s representatives, when required
- Communicate and reinforce the Company vision, values and goals
- Conduct special studies to develop and establish standard hour and related cost data or effect cost reductions
- Analyze completed projects to compare estimated costs to actual costs and determine the reason for any discrepancies; provide improvement recommendations to cost estimating procedures to reduce future discrepancies between estimated and actual costs
- Identify cost trends to assist management in cost reduction and process improvement efforts
- Perform other duties as directed or required
- Four-year college degree in construction management, civil engineering or equivalent combination of education and work experience required
- At least 3 years of experience estimating asphalt and concrete construction projects preferred
- Background in heavy highway construction preferred
- HCSS, Microsoft Project, and Bluebeam experience preferred
- Valid Driver’s License and clean driving history required
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear; frequently required to sit, stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle, or feel, reach with hands and arms, and stoops, kneel, or crouch; occasionally required to climb or balance; occasionally required to lift and/or move up to 50lbs.
Note: Position summary shown may not include ALL of the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities required. Simon Contractors uses E-Verify to confirm employment eligibility.
SIMON CONTRACTORS IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION, GENDER/RACE/DISABLED/VETERAN, DRUG FREE WORKPLACE EMPLOYER