Machinist Tool Maker
Plan and layout work, set up and operate any and all types of machine tools used in machining work. Responsible for the manufacturing of components and assemblies to tolerances as directed by drawings, sketches or other forms of instruction. Make necessary mechanical repairs on any equipment in the plant.
- Performs precision machine work in order to create, assemble, disassemble, modify or repair machines, apparatus, mechanical devises and sub-assemblies. Makes, fits and installs parts
- Successfully read and interprets drawings, sketches and diagrams.
- Set up, adjust, or operate basic or specialized machine tools used to perform precision machining operations.
- Routinely sharpen production tooling using surface and cylindrical grinders.
- Uses precision measurement and layout tools, including micrometers, calipers, indicators, rulers, square and compass, applying shop mathematics and formulas to correctly formulate the project.
- Successfully operates all manual machine shop tools including lathes, milling machines, drill press, saws, grinders, and hones applying knowledge of machining properties of various materials.
- Successful understanding of programming/operation of CNC lathes, mills, MasterCAM and AutoCAD.
- Successfully operate and program numerically controlled machines lathes, mills, wire EDM and other related equipment to fabricate parts.
- Builds and/or modifies equipment in accordance to established specifications to meet specific project requirements.
- Repairs and/or modifies existing and new products in accordance with established specifications and procedures.
- Ensures proper care in the use and maintenance of equipment and supplies; promotes continuous improvement of workplace safety and environmental practices.
- Continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively and jointly to provide quality seamless customer service.
- Maintains continuity among work shifts by documenting and communicating actions, irregularities, and continuing needs.
- Observe all facility safety rules and regulations, wear proper safety attire at all times.
- Adhere to all organizational policies and procedures
Experience and Skills:
- Knowledge of and ability to apply knowledge to the proper operation, use and maintenance and repair of machinery and equipment.
- Ability to read and understand complex drawings and blueprints.
- Ability to read and understand precision measuring equipment.
- Ability to reason through problems involving operation.
- Ability to visually check equipment to detect adjustments.
- Ability to listen and understand directions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers.
- Ability to perform strenuous work in all weather conditions.
- Ability to adhere to all organizational policies and procedures.
High School diploma, technical certificate, or equivalent coursework or training in a directly related area with 3+ year experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified. Associates of Applied Science in Precision Machining or Machine Tool Technology strongly preferred.
Mainly works in a manufacturing setting. Noise level often above normal.
May perform other duties that are not fundamental to the overall purpose and strategic impact of the job.
Machinist Tool Maker, Tool & Dye, CAD, Machine shop, first shift