Omaha Economic Development Corporation
Job Title: Accountant
Reports To: Vice President and Comptroller
FLSA Status: Exempt
Closing Date: November 30, 2020
Applies principles of accounting to analyze financial information and prepare financial reports. Participates with the Comptroller in developing operational and accounting procedures and management of financial affairs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Analyzes financial information detailing assets, liabilities, and capital; prepares balance sheet, profit and loss statement, and other reports to summarize and interpret current and projected financial position for other managers.
- Monitors compliance with generally accepted accounting principles and OEDC procedures.
- Reviews, investigates, and corrects errors and inconsistencies in financial entries, documents, and reports.
- Installs, modifies, documents, and coordinates implementation of accounting systems and accounting control procedures.
- Works with the Comptroller in developing and maintaining a complete fiscal accounting and bookkeeping system.
- Monitors and records all of OEDC’s expenditures.
- Maintains an inventory list of all items, furniture, and fixtures.
- Reviews insurance coverage and assures that corporate assets are adequately protected.
- Records and maintains all contributions and revenue.
- Prepares deposit slips and transmits deposits to the bank.
- Invoices OEDC tenants and clients.
- Reviews expense invoices. Records and prepares checks.
- Maintains time and attendance records on all staff. Reviews employees’ time sheets.
- Maintains vacation and sick leave balances. Prepares payroll checks and completes biweekly payroll.
- Prepares quarterly and annual payroll returns.
- Prepares monthly bank reconciliations.
- Provides reports and compares operating results to budget.
- Prepares annual budgets and cash flow projections.
- Compiles necessary information for quarterly financial reports.
- Works closely with the Comptroller in preparation of all budgets in conjunction with appropriate staff.
- Completes other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor's degree from a four-year college or university in a related field such as accounting or finance and 5 years of experience. Experience in a nonprofit is also preferred. An equivalent combination of experience and education will be considered.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of utilizing the Internet as a resource and be proficient in the Microsoft Office Suite.
Other Skills and Abilities
Ability to communicate with all levels of people, ranging from low income citizens to top level positions in partner organizations. Must be able to effectively interface with a variety of racial, ethnic, and socio-economic groups.
Potential to ascend to the Comptroller position.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to sit. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet. The majority of the day is spent in an office type setting.