Employment Opportunity: The Susan Thompson Buffett Foundation (STBF)
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
Position: Administrative Assistant
Reporting to: Director of Research and Evaluation, Dr. Sandra G. Garcia
Application Deadline: Position will be open until filled
The Susan Thompson Buffett Foundation is a private grant-making foundation based in Omaha, Nebraska, and is one of the largest foundations in the United States. The Foundation’s primary focus is on increasing access to family planning services and supporting reproductive choice and rights, both in the U.S. and internationally. Additionally, the Foundation has a long-standing college scholarship program for Nebraska students, as well as an awards program to recognize outstanding teachers in the Omaha Public School system.
R&E Unit’s role and function
The Foundation is organized into three grant-making programs (the International, U.S., and Scholarship Programs) and the Research and Evaluation (R&E) Unit. The R&E Unit functions as an internal technical support team that assists all three programs on select research and evaluation activities. The R&E Unit itself does not carry out original research or conduct large-scale evaluations of Foundation projects, but rather works in close collaboration with our program staff to enhance the quality and effectiveness of the Foundation’s grantees by advising on the best uses of methodologically rigorous research and evaluation techniques. Currently, the R&E Unit is composed of a Director, two Senior Officers, three Officers, and one Associate. We are seeking an Administrative Assistant to join our Unit and our Foundation family.
R&E Administrative Assistant position description
The Administrative Assistant’s primary responsibilities are to support the administrative needs of the Director and the R&E team as a whole. Specific duties and responsibilities include (but are not limited to) the following:
• File and track reports, coordinate payments, and inventory R&E contracts in an online database as well as storage of hardcopy and electronic files
• Coordinate timely payments for contracts and consultants
• Manage and track all administrative logistics for consultants
• Communicate regularly with project partners and consultants, as well as representatives from professional and academic organizations, as needed
• Compile and submit expense reports and securely maintain confidential information
• Assist Director with management of confidential personnel files
• Coordinate detailed travel logistics for the team
• Organize calls and meetings and manage event planning for the team
• Maintain the schedule and calendars for the Director, and for others on the team as needed
• Ensure that memberships and subscriptions to professional organizations are current
• Inventory R&E specific software for the team and work with office information technology (IT) representatives
• Assist with the construction and management of a Foundation-wide virtual library
• Collaborate with other administrative staff in the office to assist with office-wide administrative duties
• Serve as liaison between R&E team and IT technology support staff
• Occasional travel to help coordinate the logistics of off-site events
• Perform other administrative duties as assigned
We are seeking an individual with strong, demonstrated administrative skills and experience, who is detail-oriented, highly organized, and efficient. Because of our relatively small staff size (the Unit’s and the Foundation’s alike), the success of the R&E team depends on highly motivated individuals who both work well independently and are also able to collaborate effectively with those in our Unit, program staff, and grantees. Applicants must be interested in, and committed to, reproductive rights and health internationally and in the U.S.
Specific qualifications include the following:
• At a minimum, a high school degree
• Strong administrative skills, including at least 5-7 years of professional experience
• An impeccable ability to safeguard confidential information, particularly for personnel-related matters and confidential Foundation business
• A strong ethical code of conduct
• Proficiency in Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook and an interest in the role of information systems in improving productivity. Experience using reference manager software such as Endnote is a plus
• Experience establishing new or strengthening existing administrative processes
• The ability to manage and prioritize multiple and varying tasks simultaneously, with strong time management skills
• Demonstrated experience at being a respectful and constructive team member, with strong inter-personal skills
• A self-starter who likes to solve problems, has the ability and motivation to quickly learn new tasks and approaches, and apply lessons learned
• Excellent writing and communication skills
• Some project/program management experience is a plus, but is not required
• A sense of humor and a warm, fun-loving personality
• Evidence of strong organizational skills
Compensation and benefits
Salary is competitive and commensurate with education and experience. The Foundation offers a full and generous benefits package, including medical/dental insurance and a retirement program.
The successful applicant will have an opportunity to help advance reproductive health and higher education, to thrive and grow in a challenging and busy, yet supportive and family-friendly, environment. Based on an honor system, the Foundation offers a flexible vacation policy to staff to ensure a healthy work/life balance.
Application process and deadline
Interested applicants are asked to respond as soon as possible by submitting a resume and a cover letter, which includes your salary expectations. Please send these materials to the attention of Dr. Sandra G. Garcia, Director of Research and Evaluation at the Susan Thompson Buffett Foundation, at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Applications without a cover letter will not be reviewed. References and other information may be requested at a later date. Semi-finalists may be asked to participate in telephone interviews with Foundation staff. Finalists may be invited to interview in-person at the Foundation. The start date for this position is as soon as possible.