METRO is partnering with Metropolitan Community College to assist in the development of future diesel technicians/mechanics. If you are currently enrolled in the diesel technician program, and looking for a career as a diesel mechanic, the Transit Authority of the City of Omaha, dba METRO, can help get your career moving forward. This is a learning opportunity for students designed to provide on the job experience while completing his/her education. The intern will assist with servicing, diagnosing and repairing METRO transit fleet buses, while working with and shadowing staff diesel technicians. Through on the job training, the student intern will gain knowledge of basic heavy duty fleet maintenance.
Position: DIESEL TECHNICIAN/MECHANIC INTERN
Wage: $18.50 hr.
Schedule: Flexible work schedule based upon availability and class schedule
- Currently enrolled as full-time student in an accredited diesel technician/mechanic program
- Satisfactory completion of at least 5 core mechanical classes
- Valid driver's license and satisfactory driving record
- Eligible to work in the United States
- Pass Metro's pre-employment screenings and complete background check
- Strong attention to detail
- Basic computer skills
- Knowledge of basic hand tools
- Ability to lift, push, and/or pull 75 lbs.
- Ability to perform the physical demands of the position, with or without an accommodation
- Commercial Drivers License (CDL), preferred
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Regular and predictable attendance and performance of essential functions of position.
- Perform routine preventive maintenance under direct supervision.
- Repair and replace damaged or worn parts under direct supervision.
- Inspect, diagnose and repair brake systems, steering mechanisms, wheel bearings, and other suspension mechanisms.
- Inspect, diagnose and repair electrical and electronic faults or malfunctions.
- Diagnose/troubleshoot major components groups, such as drive train, hydraulics, and heating, ventilation, and air-conditioning systems.
- Maintain safe work environment and clean work area.
- Adhere to all safety regulations, policies and procedures.
ONLY BEST QUALIFIED APPLICANTS WILL BE CONTACTED. NO PHONE CALLS.
Metro considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, sex, ethnicity, national origin, religion, gender, age, pregnancy, marital status, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability or any other protected basis prohibited by law.
Equal Opportunity Employer