Hiring Full-Time Bus Drivers! Paid Class B CDL Training!
The Transit Authority for the City of Omaha, dba METRO, is recruiting dedicated professional drivers to join our team. If you do not already have a CDL, METRO provides paid training from professional instructors to assist you in obtaining your Class B CDL. We need bus operators who like working with the public and have excellent customer service skills. If you have a good driving record, are safety conscious and demonstrate excellence in customer service, consider a career as a METRO transit bus operator.
METRO OFFERS THE FOLLOWING EMPLOYEE BENEFITS:
- Low cost employee contributions for individual and family group health, vision and dental insurance
- Company paid life insurance
- Company paid short term and long term disability insurance
- Pre-tax payroll deduction for flexible spending account
- Ten paid holidays per year
- Paid vacations. One week paid vacation first year of service. Two weeks paid vacation after two years of service.
- Annual $245 uniform allowance
- Pension plan
- 457(b) retirement savings plan
- Tuition reimbursement program
- Complimentary bus pass
Position Title: BUS OPERATOR
Training Wage: $17.69/hr. (6 weeks)
Start Wage: $21.30/hr. (after successful completion of training)
Schedule: Full-time. Must be able to work all shifts: mornings, evenings, weekends, holidays and split shifts.
- Must be 25 years of age, with a high school diploma, GED or equivalent
- Possess a valid driver’s license
- Possess a Commercial Drivers License (CDL), or have ability to obtain CDL-Class B Permit
- Possess satisfactorily driving record meeting insurance standards
- Must pass Department of Transportation (DOT) physical, back screen, drug screen, and complete a background check
- Possess stable and verifiable work history, with exceptional record of attendance and punctuality
- Postive attitude and demonstrated excellence in customer service
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES & FUNCTIONS:
- Regular and predictable performance of essential job functions.
- Perform pre-trip inspections of transit bus for mechanical problems prior to beginning scheduled run to ensure proper operating condition of vehicle and on-board equipment.
- Maintain a working knowledge of streets, bus routes and stops within the Omaha metropolitan service area.
- Maintain knowledge of and adherence to all METRO operating policies and rules.
- Drive all models of transit buses, and provide safe, courteous and professional service to METRO passengers.
- Operate fare boxes, electronic hood signs, doors, two-way radios, etc.
- Collect fares and issue transfers in a professional manner.
- Exercise professional customer service practices including courtesy to passengers, sensitivity to passengers with disabilities, stop announcements, responding to questions and providing information to METRO passengers.
- Assist in loading, securing, and unloading a variety of wheeled mobility devices and passengers based on the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, as amended.
- Employ all techniques of defensive driving to minimize the risk of accidents and any injuries.
- Maintain schedule adherence for pull-out time and route service by operating bus in an efficient and timely manner in accordance with all applicable traffic rules, regulations and laws.
- Communicate effectively with dispatch personnel via two way radio.
- Adjust to variables in normal working conditions, including adverse weather, traffic and construction, passenger problems, accidents and trip changes.
- Complete accurate and legible defect reports, and accident and/or incident reports.
- Requires sitting for long periods of time, ability to kneel, stoop and bend, and other physical demands.
- Must be able to lift 75 lbs.
- Other related duties as assigned.
"An Equal Employment Opportunity Employer"
ONLY BEST QUALIFIED APPLICANTS WILL BE CONTACTED. NO PHONE CALLS.
METRO considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, sex, ethnicity, national origin, religion, gender, age, pregnancy, marital status, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability or any other protected basis prohibited by law.