STEER YOUR CAREER IN A NEW DIRECTION!
Looking for a career with a stable organization? The Transit Authority for the City of Omaha, dba METRO, is recruiting talented and dedicated operators to join our team. We need people who enjoy working with the public. METRO's paratransit operators ensure that persons with disabilities safe travel within METRO's service system. METRO provides paid training from professional instructors. If you have a good driving record, are safety conscious and people oriented, consider a career as a METRO paratransit operator.
METRO offers excellent compensation and benefits. Starting operators guaranteed 34 hours per week.
- Health, vision & dental insurance
- Life Insurance
- Pension Plan
- Short term and long term disability
- Paid holidays and vacation
- Uniform allowance
- Deferred compensation retirement account - 457(b)
- Complimentary bus pass
Position Title: PARATRANSIT OPERATOR
Under supervision, operates METRO paratransit vehicles in the Omaha metropolitian service area. This is a safety sensitive position and is subject to drug and alcohol testing, including but not limited to random testing, in accordance with Federal Transit Administration (FTA) and Department of Transportation (DOT) drug and alcohol regulations.
Training Wage: $14.40/hr.
Hourly Wage: $16.94/hr. (after successful completion of training)
Schedule: Must be flexible and able to work all shifts: Early morning, late evenings, weekends, holidays and split shifts.
- Be at least 25 years of age
- Possess a valid driver’s license and retain a driving record meeting insurance standards
- Demonstrated knowledge of the Omaha metropolitan area
- Able to perform essential functions of job and assist all passengers with disabilities
- Able to work varying shifts, days & hours
- Successfully complete METRO's designated training programs
- Pass DOT physical and drug screen, back screen, and complete criminal record check
- Possess stable and verifiable work history
- Possess good customer service skills
Essential Functions of Job:
- Regular and predictable performance of essential job functions.
- Perform pre-trip inspections of paratransit vehicle for mechanical and safety issues prior to beginning scheduled run to ensure proper operating condition of vehicle and on-board equipment.
- Adhere to scheduled manifest by picking up all paratransit clients on time and delivering them to their destinations safely and within a reasonable time frame.
- Maintain a working knowledge of streets, bus routes and stops within the Omaha metropolitan service area.
- Comply with Americans with Disabilities Act, as amended (ADA).
- Maintain knowledge of and adherence to all rules, regulations, policies and procedures to ensure the well-being of METRO passengers, employees and property.
- Provide courteous and professional service to all paratransit passengers.
- Ensure the safety of all passengers by use of appropriate on-board restraints and securement of mobility devices.
- Employ all techniques of defensive driving to minimize the risk of accidents and any injuries.
- Operate manual and hydraulic wheelchair lift(s).
- Communicate effectively with dispatch personnel via two way radio.
- Adjust to variable in normal working conditions, including adverse weather, traffic and construction, passenger problems, accidents and trip changes.
- Requires regular periods of sitting, stooping, bending, pushing, pulling, assisting and securing wheelchair passengers and other physical demands in order to assist MOBY passengers with disabilities to safely board, ride and de-board paratransit vehicles. Must be able to lift a minimum of 75 lbs.
- Complete accurate and legible accident and/or incident reports at the end of scheduled shift.
- Maintain and record odometer readings and times as required.
- Attend mandatory training, as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
PLEASE NO PHONE CALLS.
METRO considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, sex, ethnicity, national origin, religion, gender, age, pregnancy, marital status, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability or any other protected basis prohibited by law.