Orion is growing and building out our data analyst team and strategy! Be instrumental in a new discipline!
The Sr Data Analyst at Orion enables a data driven decision-making culture by providing insights at the point of decision. Through exploratory analysis and deep understanding of the business, analysts ensure critical descriptive, and leading indicators are available to decision makers within their workflows. As new business questions arise, they can quickly analyze the available data and present initial findings with recommended action steps and additional research needs.
The right individual will demonstrate exceptional data skills to work within Orion's data ecosystem, solid business judgment to ensure the delivery of the right results, and the ability to operate successfully in a fast-paced, growth-oriented environment. The position requires the capacity to work in a distributed team environment, building effective working relationships inside and outside of the group.
Our team is expanding and this is our second analyst hire, you will be uniquely positioned to help shape the way we leverage data and analytics at Orion. If you have the necessary skills and enjoy building this is the place for you.
Essential Functions of the Job
- Work autonomously and take end to end ownership of assignments
- Lead requirement gathering meetings with stakeholders, digging beyond the surface to the root problem and scope out solutions
- Develop rich interactive visualizations, integrating various reporting components from multiple data sources
- Visualize the data in a way that is intuitive and meets stakeholder needs
- Validate results, take ownership of the accuracy of the data being visualized
- Document code and business logic, clearly communicating data analysis assumptions
- Create and deliver engaging presentations to leadership
- Familiarize yourself with the underlying data, so you can proactively identify business problems and opportunities
- Collaborate with development on additional data needs and quality issues
- Use SQL and other technologies to extract data from different backend systems
- Have a bias towards automation, wherever logical do things in an easily repeatable way
- Identify data quality issues, including incomplete and inconsistent data
- Participate in the data governance efforts and mechanisms
- Take complicated problems and build simple frameworks
Skills Needed to Perform the Job
- Ability to refine problem statements and figure out how to solve them with available data
- Ability to influence peers to complete projects without a direct reporting relationship
- Ability to thrive in a fast changing environment filled with ambiguity
- Excellent communication, and presentation skills
- Ability to execute on multiple projects simultaneously
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Ability to multi-task while maintaining careful attention to detail
- Ability to work effectively both individually and within a team environment
- Ability to work with a sense of urgency to meet deadlines and address competing priorities
- Proficient skills with Microsoft Office software including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
Education Needed to Perform the Job
- Bachelor’s degree in Statistics, Analytics, Finance, Business, Mathematics, or equivalent*
- Orion Industry Certification must be obtained within 90 days of employment.
Experience Needed to Perform the Job
- 5 years of professional experience as a Data Analyst
- 2 years of experience writing SQL queries
- 2 years of experience creating dashboards in BI tools, Power BI and Sisense preferred
- Demonstrated success in solving business problems through analysis
- Experience working within Financial Services industry preferred
*Equivalent education and experience will be considered.