Our client is seeking to add a Special Education Para Professional/Support Coach to their growing team. The selected individual will be will be working in the classroom and therapy groups to assist with behavioral needs and work closely with other team members in providing programming benefits for each student.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Direct supervision of the students.
- Assist the Teacher and Therapist in devising special strategies for reinforcing material or skills based on a sympathetic understanding of individuals’ students, their needs, interests and abilities.
- Provides guidance, support, and communication to students and families when indicated and appropriate.
- Assist the program with additional duties to include, but not limited to, collaboration of classroom material, assisting the teacher with making coping, grading materials, classroom token economy system, and participation in meetings and trainings as appropriate.
- Participation in multidisciplinary team process in assessing, planning, and evaluation student needs/progress.
- Use positive behavior management techniques including verbal redirection, collaborative problem solving, teaching moments, de-escalation, and CPI as trained
- Effectively communicate facility and programmatic behavioral expectations and implementation to students with the assistance of the Leadership Team.
- Assist with orientation of new students, emphasize on family engagement through their enrollment in the program and create a safe and a Trauma Informed environment.
- Responsible for the student’s safety, engagement, supervision and documentation throughout the school day, including behavior tracking, MDT data wall documentation, writing incident reports when necessary and collaborating with the mental health team on reflective practice worksheets when necessary.
- Models culturally and socially desired behaviors while explaining the behaviors to students to facilitate learning and replication of the behaviors.
- Assists with formulating student goals and implements the PBIS model in the classroom.
- Facilitates structured programming groups, such as life skills, social skills, recreational activities, physical education, and independent living.
- Cooperates and collaborates with program staff, volunteers, and other Agency staff.
- Maintain professional and ethical standards of conduct outlined in the employee handbook including demonstrating respect for agency staff, clients, and community members.
- Maintain compliance with agency policies and procedures and established state standards and requirements.
- Maintain confidentiality in all areas of child and program operations.
- Complete all required documentation prior to completion of shift.
- Develops personal and program related skills through participation in internal and external training opportunities.
- Maintains regular and prompt attendance on a consistent and reliable basis.
- Create, maintain, and share as appropriate a dynamic self-care plan.
- Performs other program related duties as assigned.
- Must have a minimum of two years post-secondary education; Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- Two years’ experience in Child Welfare Services, education setting, mental health field, or other related experience.
- Minimum of 21 years of age.
- Valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record.
Durham Staffing Solutions