Ameristar Casino offers an American Culinary Federation Certified Apprenticeship Training Program. Your journey begins at Ameirstar Council Bluffs, where youll spend two years in a progressive learning environment working alongside a Certified Executive Chef and proven industry leader. From there, you have the opportunity to relocate to one of other Penn National Gaming properties accross the nation to complete your final year as Lead Cook. Program Completion will include American Culinary Federation Certification as a Certified Culinarian, the chance to grow with us at any one of our properties as a key culinary professional and progression through our brigade system of culinary leadership.
(The following statements are intended as general illustrations of the work in this job class and are not all inclusive for specific positions.)
- Deliver internal and external guest service the Ameristar Way. Always exhibit a friendly and approachable demeanor. Be polite and courteous when speaking with guests and team members. Look for and act upon opportunities to assist guests and team members. Be sincere and genuine during all interactions. Be prepared with the knowledge and skill required to be responsive to guests' and team members' needs and questions.
- Responsible for learning and being familiar with all of Amerirstar Casinos room outlets, and for being able to answer general questions regarding the property.
- If working with the public, anticipate the guests' needs and respond appropriately with a sense of urgency.
- Take weekly assigned online classes for the program and successfully pass each week's online quiz.
- Read food orders from computer printouts, and prepare food items, according to established menu plans.
- Prepare all food items according to standard recipes and menu to ensure consistency of products to the guests.
- Wash, slice, peel and/or cut various foods to prepare for cooking or serving.
- Observe and test foods to determine if they have been cooked sufficiently, using methods such as tasting, smelling or piercing them with utensils.
- Ensure work procedures, quality standards and menu specifications are adhered to.
- In an open kitchen, guest interaction is a must. Engage the guest each time they come to your area. Explain product, ask questions and build positive relationships with the guests.
- Coordinate and communicate on orders with dining room staff.
- Prepare all food items accurately in a timely manner.
- Complete all assigned prep items as written on prep sheet.
- Use and maintain all assigned areas and equipment in a sanitary, safe and effective manner.
- Observe and enforce Health Department regulations regarding food handling, storage, proper steam table temperature, and cleanliness of work environment. Responsible of having a full knowledge of the MSDS program.
- Consistent attendance at company/restaurant training programs as they are scheduled.
- Complete opening, closing and other side duties as assigned by the supervisors.
- Be in constant communication with Assistant Cooks, Cooks, Lead Cooks and Sous Chefs.
- Pass all tests given including the training in order to retain the knowledge needed to be an effective team member.
- Maintain a well-groomed, neat and clean appearance.
- Possess the ability to work harmoniously with coworkers.
- Perform all job functions in conjunction with the guidelines described in the Standard Operating Procedures manual to ensure consistent execution of company and department standards.
- Perform all duties as assigned by management.
To be qualified as an applicant, first and foremost you must demonstrate a sincere desire for a career as a Chef. You will have the opportunity to communicate this to our selection committee through the application process which will include a two page essay on why you are interested in a career in the Culinary Arts. Additional qualification requirements are as follows:
- Must be currently enrolled in or have completed an entry level Culinary Arts educational program either through the Pro Start high school program or thorugh a University or Community College.
- Posess the aptitude and desire for learning the trade
- Have completed a high school education or the equivalent by program launch (August 2017)
- Posess the basic mathematical skills associated with measurement and recipe costing.
- Effective use of a personal computer including basic knowledge of Microsoft Office software and ability to effectively utilize the internet as a learning tool.
**The Following costs are covered by the company:
- All textbooks and educational material
- Knife kits, basic tools and equipment
- Tuition for all applicable distance learning programs
- Discounted meals during shifts
**Costs to Apprenticeship
- Apprenticeship one-time registration fee $105
- Membership to the American Culinary Federation (good for 3 years) $150
- Written exam fee (Certification as Certified Culinarian at end of program) $35
Ameristar Casino Hotel Council Bluffs, which includes the largest riverboat in Iowa, was modeled after the historic riverboats that plied the waters of the Missouri River in the 1800s. Located in the greater Omaha metropolitan area, this property has received the prestigious Four Diamond designation from the American Automobile Association and, in 2004, was named "Property of the Year" by the Iowa Lodging Association. The property also features a 38,500 square-foot casino, five dining options, three bars, an entertainment venue and 8,000 square-feet of meeting and event space.
Ameristar Council Bluffs
2200 River Road
Council Bluffs, IA 51501