The Pipeline Technician performs activities required to successfully operate and maintain Northern Natural Gas compressor stations and pipeline facilities. Pipeline Techs are multi-skilled employees who perform highly technical work within a geographical area on the largest interstate natural gas pipeline system in the United States.
Technical Skill Areas:
· Controls - Install, maintain and troubleshoot programmable logic controllers, human machine interfaces, motor control centers, and medium and low voltage power distribution and pneumatic control devices utilized in pipeline operations.
· Measurement - Program, maintain, operate and troubleshoot gas measurement equipment including gas meters, control valves, relief valves, regulators and associated software, as well as monitoring gas and quality control equipment.
· Corrosion - Install, maintain and troubleshoot corrosion protection equipment to ensure pipeline integrity. NACE CP1 Tester certification is preferred.
· Mechanical - Install, maintain, troubleshoot, overhaul and repair rotating and reciprocating compression equipment.
· Liquefied Natural Gas Operations - Ensure reliable operation and maintenance of processes required to make liquefied natural gas.
· Underground Storage Operations - Ensure reliable operation and maintenance of processes required to store and deliver natural gas from underground reservoirs.
· Compressor Station Operations - Ensure reliable operation of compressor station equipment.
· Pipeline - Perform pigging operations, damage prevention measures and pipeline right of way maintenance.
· Equipment Operation - Transport, inspect, maintain and operate various mobile heavy equipment including backhoes, boom trucks, semi-trucks, dump trucks, excavators, skid loaders, etc. Additional endorsements for hazmat and liquefied natural gas transportation are available.
· Welding - Pipeline welders must be qualified in API 1104 and ASME standards to weld on natural gas pipelines. Structural welders must be qualified in AWS standards.
· Environmental - Maintain environmental standards, environmental activities and regulatory compliance for assigned locations.
Assist in performing scheduled preventative maintenance on operational equipment at assigned facility. Recognize abnormal operating conditions. Emergency response. Locate pipelines and oversee third-party excavation and line crossings. Install and inspect pipeline markers. Operate work equipment including but not limited to power tools, hand tools, and specialized instruments used in pipeline operations, maintenance, and repair of facilities. Maintain and operate facilities in compliance with specifications, codes, safety and environmental standards/records and company operating procedures. Assist in maintaining records pursuant to required state, federal, and company procedures. Review work assignments with the team to ensure work is completed with established safe work practices and reporting.
· Operate effectively in a team environment with a willingness to support team and regional objectives.
· Gain knowledge of Department of Transportation (DOT) Regulations and follow as required.
· Establish and maintain good working relationships with team members, landowners, contractors, and external customers.
· Provide strong support as a team member in maintaining the standards of safety procedures, environmental practices and operating practices.
· Adapt to changes in priority.
· Ensure all compliance aspects of position are known and followed. Understands and complies with all policies, codes and regulations applicable to the position and Company.
An Associate of Applied Science degree in a technical specialization is preferred. Ideal degrees include Associate of Applied Science in aviation maintenance, diesel, natural gas, compression, instrumentation, controls, electrical, electro-mechanical or corrosion. A comparable undergraduate degree with a technical specialization certification is applicable.
Typically four to six years of related, progressive work experience would be needed for candidates applying for this position who do not possess the education requirements.
Must have a valid driver’s license.
Work schedules may vary with some positions requiring:
· Overtime and overnight stays away from home.
· On-call and rotating schedules.
· Availability for emergency response call out 24 hours per day.
Employees must be able to perform the essential functions of the position, with or without an accommodation.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
Primary Location: MN-Harris
Organization: Northern Natural Gas
Northern Natural Gas