Individual contributor leadership role within Aflac's Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) group that provides broad support across the organization working with senior leadership related to key risks facing the company. Uses prior experience and knowledge to support the advancement of risk management activities. The Sr. ERM Consultant helps to lead the implementation efforts of Aflac's enterprise risk management framework across the organization; leads collaboration with local risk teams and business unit owners; maintains positive working relationships with business partners and is a trusted advisor to the business regarding risk management practices and principles; seen as a subject matter expert to the business unit and other risk areas in regards to risk management practices, especially as it relates to the insurance industry. Identifies areas needing improvement and leads efforts to further mature the framework implementation and close gaps. Provides guidance to other team members and partners regarding risk knowledge and practices. Works closely with local risk teams and business unit leaders to enhance Aflac's risk culture.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities
- Works closely with senior management and serves as a business-focused, value-added partner to the business units with respect to understanding enterprise-wide risks, managing risks effectively and evaluating current and future risks.
- Leads annual risk assessments across the organization, collaborating with local risk teams where appropriate.
- Leads the coordination and development of enterprise risk policies and practices with the local risk teams (including Japan ERM, USRM, GIRM) to ensure a cohesive and complimentary structure is maintained and communication is consistent across Aflac U.S., GI and Aflac Japan ERM.
- Actively participates and/or leads various Aflac risk committees or represents risk on other committees; may serve as coordinator or secretary for risk committees where needed.
- Actively participates and/or leads cross-functional working groups covering multiple risks areas such as operational risk (i.e. model risk, third-party risk, compliance risk, etc.), market risk, credit risk, insurance, strategic risk or other project related risks.
- Leads the analysis of operational risk events, including the identification of the root cause that has led to their occurrence and helps to develop a remediation plan; evaluates existing risk measurement methodologies and presents results and recommendations to management.
- Provides oversight ensuring that appropriate internal controls and practices are in place within business units to ensure compliance with risk policies.
- Leads enterprise-wide risk aggregation efforts in order to communicate to senior management, including the research of emerging risk and trends.
- Leads and advises on the development of risk metrics, limits, and tolerances for key risks, working collaboratively with other local risk teams and business unit leadership.
- Leads risk culture initiatives and works closely with other areas of Aflac to embed a culture of risk management practices and problem-solving; recommends best practices; solves complex problems; takes a broad perspective to identify solutions.
- Builds effective working relationships with the key business stakeholders and risk owners; serves as a risk management advisor on key projects/initiatives and provides risk management education to the business units.
- Mentors less-experienced team members using broad knowledge, experience and tools to assist in the attainment of department/organizational goals.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Education & Experience Required
- Minimum Required Bachelors Degree risk management, actuarial science, business management, finance, accounting, economics, or a related business discipline
- Minimum Required Eight years of professional job related experience
Education & Experience Preferred
- Preferred MBA
- Preferred Certified Risk Manager (CRM), Associate in Risk Management (ARM), Certified Risk Management Professional (CRMP), Financial Risk Manager (FRM), Project Management Professional (PMP) or other risk/project management or
- Preferred Insurance or Financial Services Industry
Or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Job Knowledge & Skills
- Excellent analytical, problem solving, and research skills
- Solid knowledge and understanding of risk management frameworks
- Strong Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, and Word skills
- Excellent presentation, oral, written, and interpersonal communications skills to effectively interact with all levels of management; ability to maintain professionalism
- Ability to collaborate with business unit customers, business partners, and all levels of leadership to deliver and drive results
- Ability to lead and work on multiple projects in a time constrained environment
- Enterprise Risk Management Competencies
- Technical Knowledge & Skill - Performs data analysis with minimal supervision and direction. Seen as a subject matter expert with internal and external customers. Thinks strategically about process improvement. Uses experience and knowledge to coach others.
- Communication - Clearly conveys information & ideas to individuals & groups through a variety of communication methods. Listens effectively & able to clarify & synthesize information from multiple sources. Chooses an appropriate & effective way to communicate to different audiences in diverse situations.
- Personal Effectiveness & Development - Displays self awareness & conscious of the implications of interactions with others; takes personal responsibility for improving oneself through use of resources.
- Impact - Takes pride in your work & strives for excellence to achieve the best possible results for the company. Brings value to the company through ideas and work product.
- Teamwork - Establishes & maintains respectful, cooperative, collaborative, & productive working relationships with informal & formal teams to accomplish goals.
- Business Knowledge & Acumen - Very knowledgeable of the business. Frequently mentors/advises others on business practices. Frequently suggests new ways of performing tasks based on previous experience. Knows key stakeholders and organizational hierarchy.
- Project Management - Effectively leads projects, including those with cross-functional accountabilities including both internal and external partners. Considered a subject-matter expert and capable of coaching others. Leverages experience to enhance or drive changes.
- Influencing - Effectively interprets business and technical data in a way that influences key decision makers/stakeholders. Leads discussions in order to drive key business decisions. Effectively builds consensus among a group in order to achieve objectives; including external partners.
- Decision Making - Understands impact of data on business decisions and raises concerns in a timely manner. Makes effective business decisions with minimal guidance from manager and others. Informs others to guide decision making.
- Values Driven - Interacts with others in a way that gives them confidence in ones intentions. Listens with respect and objectivity even when others opinions conflict with ones own. Adheres to standards of professional conduct.
- Talent Management & Development - Effectively coaches peers or subordinates; delegates work appropriately; helps develop team capabilities and shares knowledge; builds positive relationships.
- Acting with Integrity
- Communicating Effectively
- Pursuing Self-Development
- Serving Customers
- Supporting Change
- Supporting Organizational Goals
- Working with Diverse Populations
The statements below describe the general nature and level of the work and are not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required. Normal office environment (virtual or in-person)
Career Progression Acknowledgement
Normal Career Progression - This is a normal career progression (NCP) position and incumbent may progress to the next level in the job family without further competition when there is an existing business need, qualifications identified in the job profile are met, advancement recommended by management, with human resources approval, and in accordance with company guidelines.