The Dental Hygienist will assist the Dentist in delivering appropriate direct care and education for the betterment of patients’ oral and systemic health. The Dental Hygienist will be expected to treat patients of Charles Drew Health Center with respect, empathy and with their best interest in mind.
POSITION-SPECIFIC DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develops and implements individualized treatment plans for patients; performs patient education on proper home care to achieve and maintain oral health under the supervision of a qualified dentist.
- Assesses dental condition and needs of patient; uses patient screening procedures to include medical history and patient health questionnaire review, dental charting, and periodontal charting; takes patient vital signs and documents as required.
- Delivers direct patient care as assigned, using established dental hygienist procedures; performs routine treatment procedures such as prophylactic cleaning, scaling and root planing, coronal polishing, taking radiographs, application of sealants and fluoride treatments, and other related procedures.
- Documents dental history or chief complaint in NextGen EDR; records and reports pertinent observations and patient reactions to dental staff or Dental Director, as appropriate; documents lab procedures and ensures follow up on results.
- Assists with or institutes emergency measures for sudden adverse developments during treatment of patients, including medical emergencies.
- Performs patient triage and initiates patient care as appropriate for walk-in patients.
- Assists in preparation of patient care areas, and in the patient admission, transfer, and discharge process, as required; prepares reports and assists as required with patient reception, telephone calls, routine triage, and other duties.
- Performs miscellaneous job related duties as assigned, including cleaning and sterilizing of dental instruments, as well as performing routine maintenance for sterilizer units and other dental equipment.
- Communicate professionally and effectively with other dental staff members, as well as with the Dental Director on pertinent clinic matters.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree in the field of dental hygiene or 2 year Associate’s Degree in dental hygiene
- Licensure: Current active Nebraska licensure as a dental hygienist
- Experience: None required, minimum one year preferred
- Expertise: Dental hygiene
- Language: English, second languages welcomed
- Hours of Work: 8:00am - 5:00pm. Monday - Friday
- Travel: Minimal local travel
- Exposure: The exposure characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. For example, while performing the essential functions of this job, the employee occasionally is exposed to fumes or airborne particles and toxic or caustic chemicals. The employee is also exposed to a low level of radiation. Additionally, the employee may frequently be exposed to bloodborne and other hazardous chemicals. Finally, the noise level in the work environment can occasionally be quite loud. In all cases personal protective equipment will be provided to the employee in combination with adequate ventilation and other engineering controls to minimize the risk of exposure or other hazardous occurrence.
- Physical: Employees may experience increased lower back, neck, wrist and eye strain while performing dental hygiene duties. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with special challenges to perform the aforementioned essential functions.