Charles Drew Health Center Omaha, NE
POSITION SUMMARY: The Medical Assistant (MA) works as part of the medical office team performing clinical and clerical duties necessary in a manner that best fits the needs and wants of the community we desire to serve. The MA will be an integral part of the team in delivering primary healthcare that is relevant, sensitive and responsive to the needs and wants of our diverse patient population, taking into consideration cultural, religious, sexual orientation, language, age and the developmental stage of the patient. Duties include preparing patient for visit, gathering and documenting information, assisting providers with procedures, performing in-house labs/procedures, prepping charts, answering phones, making appointments and assisting with registration, as needed. Medical Assistants will administer medications and vaccines under the supervision of the provider and clinic nursing staff. The MA will promote a friendly environment by creating an atmosphere in which our patients feel safe, secure and empowered in the decision making processes concerning their health care. Be an asset to the team in providing high-quality, comprehensive, and confidential health care
POSITION DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assists the provider by facilitating patient and information flow through numerous phases of the patient visit.
- Reviews schedule every day and prepares EHR and supplies to promote and maintain smooth patient flow throughout the clinic visit.
- Greets and escorts patient and family to exam room in a professional and confidential manner.
- Obtains purpose of visit, vital signs (blood pressure, pulse, temperature, and measurements) and documents information accurately and timely into the EHR.
- Informs the provider of abnormal readings or significant deviations from prior visits, if appropriate.
- Performs routine procedures per Provider’s order (EKG, PPD readings, ear lavage, peak flow, vision screening, audiometry, etc.).
- Assists Providers with routine and complex procedures (pap smears, IUD placements, colposcopy and other minor surgeries).
- Prepares specimens for processing and performs in-house Clia-waived tests and other laboratory procedures required per patient visit (lead, hgb, strep, pregnancy test, cultures, A1c, etc.).
- Administers immunizations and injections under direct supervision of a RN or Provider.
- Cleans exam rooms after each patient visit.
- Assist with scheduling of F/U procedures or necessary referrals.
- Inventories and stocks supplies and equipment for exam rooms utilizing cost effective measures and techniques.
- Provides patients and families thorough education regarding preparation for procedure and post procedure needs.
- Alerts ADON and/or DON to patient flow problems.
- Assists with training of new clinic staff and in competency assessments.
- Maintains patient care equipment and notifies supervisor of repair requirements.
- Performs all duties in compliance with all federal and state regulations.
- Other duties as assigned
- High School Diploma or equivalent required.
- Diploma from accredited medical assistant program required. Medical Assistant Certification preferred.
- CPR/BLS required
- Medication Aide Certification required within 3 months of employment.
- One to three years of related medical assistance experience preferred. Previous work in a community health center is also preferred.
- Knowledge of medical terminology preferred.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office – particularly Excel and PowerPoint; familiarity with an Electronic Practice Management (EPM) and/ or Electronic Health Record (EHR).
- Demonstrates strong interpersonal skills and excellent communication skills both written and verbal, as well as, exhibiting strong organizational skills and work ethic.
- Demonstrates a professional demeanor when responding to patients/customers.
- Hearing - must be able to respond to telephone calls and face to face interactions. Near vision - to type on computer.
- Hours of Work: Monday-Friday 8-7:00, Saturday 9-12:00 Expect to work 40 hours a week. Over-time is not encouraged.
- Travel: Some travel may be required, when participating in outreach events or floating to another clinic site.
| Date Posted
September 25, 2019
| Date Closes
October 25, 2019
| Located In
| Job Type
| SOC Category
31-9092.00 Medical Assistants
This job offers the following benefits
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment
- Dependent Life Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Group Legal
- Life Insurance
- Long-Term Disability
- Prescription Drug Plan
- Short-Term Disability
- Supplemental Insurance
- Voluntary Life Insurance
- Bereavement Pay
- Doctor (On-site)
- Financial Planning
- Fitness Classes
- Free Parking
- Paid Holidays
- Paid Vacations
- Wellness Program
- Workout Facilities
- Merit Increases
This job is related other jobs in these career categories