Adolescent Health Educator
Charles Drew Health Center Omaha, NE
Position Summary: The Adolescent Health Educator (AHE) will promote, maintain and improve individual and community health by assisting individuals and communities to adopt healthy behaviors.
Position Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with other health specialists and community organizations to determine community health needs and the availability of services, and then develop goals for meeting the identified needs.
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with agencies and community organizations with like-goals.
- Develop and present health education and promotion programs in a multitude of community venues, frequented by adolescents and young adults.
- Prepare and distribute health education materials, including reports and visual aids such as videos, photographs and posters in a format and language relevant to adolescents and young adults.
- Develop and maintain health education resources for adolescent health care team and community agencies.
- Collaborate with other members of the Reproductive Health team to coordinate and provide counseling for external STI testing sites.
- Collect and document patient and partner information.
- Follow up with positive patents identified as needed.
- Collaborate with Public Health Program Coordinator to monitor, report and properly audit inventory for state funded STI medication.
- Network and participate in community outreach activities associated with STI and contraception/family planning education.
- Participate in major community screenings for STI testing in non-traditional locations.
- Document activities, recording patient encounters, outreach activities, number of tests performed, treatments, etc.; this information will be forwarded to the Reproductive Health Administrator to prepare reports for funders.
- Work with the Reproductive Health team to develop and implement policies and procedure to improve STI and contraception/family planning operational efficiencies
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent from an accredited college or university with major course work in public health, behavioral science, sociology, psychology or related field required.
- Experience in public and/or Adolescent Health preferred.
- 1-2 years, minimum, experience working with youth/young adults with preference to experiences in the CDHC service area.
- Demonstrated ability to interact and communicate effectively with individuals at various levels both inside and outside of the organization, often in sensitive situations. Previous facilitation experience preferred.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office – particularly Excel and PowerPoint; familiarity with an Electronic Practice Management (EPM) and/ or Electronic Health Record (EHR) or similar system.
- Demonstrates strong interpersonal skills and excellent communication skills both written and verbal, as well as, exhibiting strong organizational skills and work ethic.
- Demonstrates a professional demeanor when responding to patients/customers.
- Hearing - must be able to respond to telephone calls and face to face interactions. Near vision - to type on computer.
- Hours of Work: Monday-Friday 9:00-6:00pm, subject to change based on outreach events and needs of population being served. Expect to work 40 hour a week minimum.
- Travel: Some travel required.
| Date Posted
October 2, 2017
| Date Closes
November 1, 2017
| Located In
| Job Type
| SOC Category
21-1091.00 Health Educators
This job offers the following benefits
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan
- Dependent-Care Spending Accounts
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment
- Dependent Life Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Group Legal
- Life Insurance
- Long-Term Disability
- Prescription Drug Plan
- Professional Liability
- Supplemental Insurance
- Voluntary Life Insurance
- Bereavement Pay
- Casual Dress
- Doctor (On-site)
- Fitness Classes
- Free Parking
- Holiday Party
- Paid Holidays
- Paid Vacations
- Sick Leave
- Wellness Program
- Workout Facilities
This job is related other jobs in these career categories