Job Title: Part-time Shift Advocate (overnights/weekends)
Reports To: Advocacy Manager
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
WCA Mission Statement: Assisting victims of domestic violence and sexual assault and their children to achieve safety and empowering them to lead self- determined lives.
WCA Values: We will exemplify what it takes to be a premier organization as an employer of choice, service provider, partner and collaborator and financial steward, and demonstrate our steadfast commitment to: Respect, Integrity, Collaboration and Excellence.
Responsible for providing support and guidance to victims of domestic violence or sexual assault. This position is 100% devoted to direct client services including: providing service to clients or work on behalf of clients; documentation; hotline coverage; outreach to victims; promoting economic security of victims; prepare for or lead client groups; job related training; and internal WCA meetings.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Meet with clients at the office, via phone or in person at other locations to provide crisis intervention, resources and support.
- Provide in-person response to clients at hospital.
- Assess safety of clients and work with them to create a safety plan.
- Assist clients through health care, legal, criminal justice and health and human services systems.
- Assist clients in achieving goals related to self-sufficiency.
- Work with other members of WCA staff to maintain an updated list of community resources.
- Facilitate groups for clients on various topics.
- Present information on WCA services for victims to various groups.
- Maintain client files and complete documentation/paperwork for clients.
- Conduct outreach to victims.
- Perform the duties of an On-Call Advocate as needed.
- Attend internal WCA staff meetings and other duties as assigned.
- Complete required initial and ongoing job training.
- Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in Counseling, Social Work, Criminal Justice or related field OR six months to one year of prior experience working with clients as a volunteer or staff person in human service organization or related field is required. WCA also strongly values the personal, lived experience of individuals from all backgrounds.
- Fluency in Spanish, preferred.
- Ability to work with a diverse client population and cultural backgrounds.
- Understanding of domestic violence, sexual assault and stalking issues.
- Ability to problem solve with clients.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Good working knowledge of computer programs including Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, Internet and database programs.
- Ability to operate standard office equipment.
- Regular and predictable attendance required.
- Responsible for providing own transportation to meet with clients and other community providers.
- Maintain confidentiality standards of the organization and in accordance with HIPAA standards.
- Commitment to the mission of the WCA.
- Work hours: Fridays from 5:00 pm to 12:00 am and every other weekend (Saturday and Sunday) from 10:00 am to 8:00 pm.
- Up to 15 hours/week.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee will be in a normal office environment while performing the duties of this job and will be required to sit, stand, walk and occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. In addition, employee will be required to drive to other locations to conduct company business.