Job Title: Bilingual Legal Assistance for Victims Project Advocate
Reports To: Legal Director
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Classification: Temporary Full-Time
Seeking advocate to provide support and guidance to victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, human trafficking, and stalking who seek protection orders and other legal remedies. This position will also be responsible for direct client services including: providing service to clients or work on behalf of clients; documentation; outreach to victims; job related training; and internal WCA meetings.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Meet with clients at the office, via phone, at the courthouse or in person at other locations to provide crisis intervention, resources and support.
- Assess clients’ eligibility for the Legal Assistance for Victims project.
- Assess safety of clients and work with them to create a safety plan.
- Assist and provide support to clients throughout the process of applying for protection orders.
- Assist clients through health care, legal, criminal justice and health and human services systems.
- Work with other members of WCA staff to maintain an updated list of community resources.
- Collaborate with Legal Assistance for Victims Project Attorney to serve clients and conduct outreach.
- Present information on WCA services for victims to various groups.
- Maintain client files and complete documentation/paperwork for clients.
- Conduct outreach to victims.
- Attend regular meetings with Legal Director, Legal Assistance for Victims Project Attorney, and grant project partners.
- Attend internal WCA staff meetings and other duties as assigned.
- Complete required initial and ongoing job training.
- Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in Counseling, Social Work, Criminal Justice or related field OR six months to one year of prior experience working with clients as a volunteer or staff person in human service organization or related field is required. Fluency in Spanish is required. WCA also strongly values the personal lived experiences of individuals from all backgrounds.
- Bilingual: Fluent in Spanish
- Understanding of domestic violence, sexual assault, trafficking, and stalking issues.
- Ability to work with a diverse client population and cultural backgrounds.
- Ability to problem solve with clients.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Good working knowledge of computer programs including Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, Internet and database programs.
- Ability to operate standard office equipment.
- Regular and predictable attendance required.
- Responsible for providing own transportation to meet with clients and other community providers.
- Maintain confidentiality standards of the organization and in accordance with HIPAA standards.
- Commitment to the mission of the WCA.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee will be in a normal office environment while performing the duties of this job and will be required to sit, stand, walk and occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. In addition, employee will be required to drive to other locations to conduct company business.