At Heartland Family Service, we are committed to building a culture that is trauma informed and values and celebrates diversity and inclusion. We believe this allows for better service delivery and innovation, as it encourages our employees to bring various experiences and uniqueness to the workplace.
Trauma Informed Care is an approach to engaging people with histories of trauma that recognizes the presence of trauma symptoms and acknowledges the role that trauma has played in their lives. Trauma Informed Care also acknowledges the effects of working with trauma survivors on our workforce, and seeks to build collaborative and supportive working environments and relationships.
If you believe in our mission of creating healthy families and communities, and like a fast pace, collaborative and team oriented environment, then Heartland Family Service is the agency for you.
SUMMARY DESCRIPTION OF WORK
Advocates provide crisis intervention, safety planning, referrals, and information about the criminal justice system. Two advocates for domestic violence calls (one lead and a second) or one advocate for sexual assault calls to the hospital are On-call 5pm-8am evenings, and 8am-8pm on holidays and weekends. Compensation is awarded if called out or not.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide crisis intervention and support to victims of domestic violence.
- Attend quarterly meetings & emergency meetings with only one (1) excused absence per calendar year
- Must be willing to cover (2) major holiday’s per calendar year:EasterIndependence DayThanksgiving Christmas EveNew Years Eve
- Christmas Day
- Friday after Thanksgiving
- Labor Day
- Memorial Day
- New Years Day
- Must be willing to cover at least one weekend (Saturday and Sunday) per month
- Must live close enough to Sarpy County that you can arrive at a scene within 30 minutes of call.
- Ability to take a minimum of 6 shifts per month.
- Must demonstrate & maintain total confidentially at all times
- i.e. conversations; files; cell phones calls
- Maintain availability at all times while on call without exception
- Handle all face to face contacts within a timely manner.
- Provide appropriate referrals and follow up on cases as needed.
- Cooperates and collaborates with program staff, volunteers, visitors to the agency and, the community at large.
- Demonstrates a high degree of crisis intervention skills while working with a diverse clientele.
- Displays a courteous and caring attitude at all times to the clientele, volunteers, agency staff and community at large.
- Is dependable and punctual regarding scheduling.
- Abides by all specific program and agency policy and procedures.
- Develops personal and program related skills through participation in internal and external training opportunities including printed material and media.
- Attend quarterly meetings
- Good communication skills both written and verbal
- Performs other program duties as assigned.
*DENOTES ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Knowledge of the Criminal Justice System, Social Work, Domestic Violence and sexual assault, preferred but not necessary.
- Valid driver’s license, acceptable driver’s license.
- Bilingual a benefit.
Communication – Clearly conveying and receiving messages to meet the needs of all, expressing oneself effectively, understanding underlying issues and adapting communication for the situation.
Teamwork – Working cooperatively and productively with others to achieve results by actively participating in the team and involving other team members.
Problem Solving & Judgment – Ability to assess options and implications in order to identify a solution by breaking down problems, recognizing basic and multiple relationships and can develop complex plans and/or analyses.
Adaptability – Personal willingness and ability to work in and adapt to change, valuing the need for adaptability, demonstrating adaptability through adapting approach and strategy.
Client Focus – Understanding and meeting or exceeding client needs through responsive client service and contributing to positive outcomes for the client, meeting long term client needs.
Innovation-Using original and creative thinking to make improvements and/or develop and initiate new approaches for own job/area as well as the organization, and does things new to the organization.
Relationship Building – Developing and maintaining win/win relationships and partnerships through establishing formal working relationships.
Service Facilitation – Creates networks to ensure required services are delivered effectively, providing information as required.
Organizational Awareness & Commitment – Understands the structure and culture of the organization and supports the organization’s values, principles and goals; demonstrating an understanding of the organization beyond own workgroup and can anticipate and meet organizational needs.
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITY SPECIFICATIONS
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions).
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
(Work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions).
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is not exposed to weather conditions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Heartland Family Service