At Heartland Family Service, we are committed to building a culture that is trauma informed and values and celebrates diversity and inclusion. We believe this allows for better service delivery and innovation, as it encourages our employees to bring various experiences and uniqueness to the workplace.
Trauma Informed Care is an approach to engaging people with histories of trauma that recognizes the presence of trauma symptoms and acknowledges the role that trauma has played in their lives. Trauma Informed Care also acknowledges the effects of working with trauma survivors on our workforce, and seeks to build collaborative and supportive working environments and relationships.
If you believe in our mission of creating healthy families and communities, and like a fast pace, collaborative and team oriented environment, then Heartland Family Service is the agency for you.
SUMMARY DESCRIPTION OF WORK
The Heartland Housing Opportunities (HHO) program provides Rapid Re-Housing services in the form of temporary financial assistance and support services to individuals and families who are homeless and residing in Douglas/Sarpy/Pottawattamie County. The Case Manager will work to identify, screen, and serve eligible clients through the HHO Program.Intensive case management responsibilities begin at this level. Educational requirements are very specific. Decision making, problem solving, and highly developed interpersonal skills are critical. This position requires high level of social work skills, practice and knowledge.
Work Schedule: Monday through Thursday, 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.; Friday 8:30 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- *Participate in outreach to homeless individuals to engage them in services and screen for program eligibility.
- *Conducts interviews and assessment to accept, deny, and refer applicants.
- *Responsible for verifying and documenting the eligibility of applicants and maintaining comprehensive, accurate service records for all approved or denied clients
- *Assists the clients in identification of strengths, needs and goals. Develops an individualized housing stability plan in cooperation with the client. Monitor and evaluate program participant progress.
- *Assist individuals or families in locating, obtaining, and retaining suitable housing though housing search and placement services
- *Provide case management services related to meeting the housing needs of program participants and helping them obtain housing stability.
- *Assist program participants with critical skills related to household budgeting, money management, accessing a free personal credit report, and resolving personal credit issues.
- *Provides problem solving and crisis intervention services to empower clients to develop self-sufficiency.
- *Work is completed in client homes, homeless shelters, office space, and other non-traditional settings. Ensure safety and security measures for in-home/outreach services are followed. During the Covid-19 pandemic extra precautions are put in place to ensure the safety of staff and of clients. Zoom meetings and virtual visits are encourage when applicable.
- *Travel is required, included use of personal vehicle.
- *Ensure required information is collected, entered into prescribed formats, and reported in a timely manner – as outlined by federal funding and internal reporting guidelines.
- *Provides program information and referral services to clients and homeless service providers.
- *Demonstrates knowledge of current community and Heartland Family Service programs and resources to meet client needs.
- *Demonstrates ability to help clients effectively by utilizing community resources to obtain self-sufficiency.
- Evaluates efficiency and effectiveness of community service providers on an ongoing basis to ensure clients are receiving quality care.
- Is able to work both independently, with little supervision, and as a part of a team.
- Able to establish regularity and dependability in scheduling all appointments and accuracy in reports and statistics.
- Displays a courteous and caring attitude at all times to the clientele, volunteers, and visitors of the Agency.
- Abides by all specific program and Agency procedures, policies, and requirements.
- Cooperates and collaborates with program area staff, volunteers, and other Agency staff.
- Is dependable and punctual regarding scheduling and attendance
- Able to evaluate program services and make recommendations.
- Develops personal and program related skills through participation in internal and external training opportunities including printed material and audio and/or visual media.
- Is able to develop positive working relationships with clients, referral sources, service agencies, landlords, and others encountered in the course of work.
- *Creates, maintains, and shares as appropriate a dynamic self-care plan.
- *Strives to make connections between the agency and the larger community whenever possible in order to contribute to the agency’s ongoing fundraising and friend-raising efforts.
- *Essential functions of this job is to be performed on company physical work site.
- Performs other program related duties as assigned.
*DENOTES ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Bachelor’s Degree and 2 years experience OR Masters Degree and no experience OR equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Valid Driver’s License and acceptable driving record.
- Bi-lingual (Spanish) a plus.
Communication – Clearly conveying and receiving messages to meet the needs of all, expressing oneself effectively, understanding underlying issues and adapting communication for the situation.
Teamwork – Working cooperatively and productively with others to achieve results by actively participating in the team and involving other team members.
Problem Solving & Judgment – Ability to assess options and implications in order to identify a solution by breaking down problems, recognizing basic and multiple relationships and can develop complex plans and/or analyses.
Adaptability – Personal willingness and ability to work in and adapt to change, valuing the need for adaptability, demonstrating adaptability through adapting approach and strategy.
Client Focus – Understanding and meeting or exceeding client needs through responsive client service and contributing to positive outcomes for the client, meeting long term client needs.
Innovation-Using original and creative thinking to make improvements and/or develop and initiate new approaches for own job/area as well as the organization, and does things new to the organization.
Relationship Building – Developing and maintaining win/win relationships and partnerships through establishing formal working relationships.
Service Facilitation – Creates networks to ensure required services are delivered effectively, providing information as required.
Organizational Awareness & Commitment – Understands the structure and culture of the organization and supports the organization’s values, principles and goals; demonstrating an understanding of the organization beyond own workgroup and can anticipate and meet organizational needs.
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITY SPECIFICATIONS
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions).
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
(Work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions).
Heartland Family Service