At Heartland Family Service, we are committed to building a culture that is trauma informed and values and celebrates diversity and inclusion. We believe this allows for better service delivery and innovation, as it encourages our employees to bring various experiences and uniqueness to the workplace.
Trauma Informed Care is an approach to engaging people with histories of trauma that recognizes the presence of trauma symptoms and acknowledges the role that trauma has played in their lives. Trauma Informed Care also acknowledges the effects of working with trauma survivors on our workforce, and seeks to build collaborative and supportive working environments and relationships.
If you believe in our mission of creating healthy families and communities, and like a fast pace, collaborative and team oriented environment, then Heartland Family Service is the agency for you.
SUMMARY DESCRIPTION OF WORK
Requires knowledge of medical terminology (particularly relating to psychiatry), use of electronic health record for patient data and basic medical vitals administration. Position requires initiative, ability to prioritize demands and ability to work in a team environment. Must be able to work various hours and locations based on Heartland Family Service business needs. This position will require travel within the metropolitan area.
Work Schedule: Monday through Friday with evenings.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- *Prepares patients for practitioner’s visit by obtaining initial information and vital signs, including taking manual blood pressure.
- *Maintains sample medication closet including tracking of medications in and out of the closet, maintaining relationships with drug reps to obtain samples.
- *Greets and escorts patients to practitioner office.
- *Checks patients' medical records for pertinent data; reviews and maintains current patient information/demographic data, social history, medication record, and pertinent medical history from the patient.
- *Prepares patient charts; ensures all charts are complete.
- *Help maintain the med assistant mailbox which would include; returning patient calls, faxes, prescription refill requests, requests of previous medical records and information from appropriate sources; completes requests for confidential transfer of medical records and information.
- *Enters information in the electronic health record.
- *Completing prior authorizations for any medicine prescribed by practitioners.
- Displays a courteous and caring attitude at all times to the clientele, volunteers, and visitors of the Agency.
- Cooperates and collaborates with program area staff, volunteers, and other Agency staff.
- *Is dependable and punctual regarding attendance and scheduling.
- Abides by all specific program and Agency procedures, policies, and requirements.
- Develops personal and program related skills through participation in internal and external training opportunities including printed material and audio and/or visual media.
- *Creates, maintains and shares an appropriate a dynamic self-care plan.
- *Strives to make connections between the agency and the larger community whenever possible in order to contribute to the agency’s ongoing fundraising and friend-raising efforts.
- *Essential functions of this job are to be performed on company physical work site.
- Performs other program related duties as assigned.
*DENOTES ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) OR Certificate of completion of a Medical Assistant training program required.
- Two (2) years of related work experience preferred
- Must have a high school diploma
- Valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record
Adaptability- Demonstrates flexibility in the face of change. projects a positive demeanor and has the ability to manage multiple conflicting priorities without loss of composure.
Organization Time Management: Determines the appropriate allocation of time.
Task Management: Balances conflicting priorities in order to manage workflow, ensure the completion of essential projects, and meet critical deadlines.
Communication Skills-Understands that the most important aspect of communication is the act of listening and actively works to improve those skills. Speaks with confidence using clear, concise sentences and is easily understood. Produces well thought-out, professional correspondence to project a positive image of the business.
Customer Service- Interacts professionally with clients and associates at all times. Promptly responds to requests with accuracy and a courteous demeanor.
Team Player- Works as a competent member of the team, willingly providing back-up support for co-workers when appropriate and actively supporting group goals.
Judgment- Exhibits sound judgment and the ability to make reasonable decisions in the absence of direction. Swiftly refers problems/issues to the appropriate person(s) when necessary. Works effectively without constant and direct supervision or guidance.
Proactive/Resourceful-Demonstrates the ability to foresee problems and prevent them by taking action. Utilizes analytical skills and a broad understanding of the business to effectively interpret and anticipate needs.
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITY SPECIFICATIONS
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions).
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
(Work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions).
Heartland Family Service