At Heartland Family Service, we are committed to building a culture that is trauma informed and values and celebrates diversity and inclusion. We believe this allows for better service delivery and innovation, as it encourages our employees to bring various experiences and uniqueness to the workplace.
Trauma Informed Care is an approach to engaging people with histories of trauma that recognizes the presence of trauma symptoms and acknowledges the role that trauma has played in their lives. Trauma Informed Care also acknowledges the effects of working with trauma survivors on our workforce and seeks to build collaborative and supportive working environments and relationships.
If you believe in our mission of creating healthy families and communities, and like a fast pace, collaborative and team-oriented environment, then Heartland Family Service is the agency for you.
SUMMARY DESCRIPTION OF WORK
The Heartland Housing Solutions Program provides scattered site Permanent Supportive Housing in the form of long-term financial assistance and supportive services using a Housing First model to individuals experiencing chronic homelessness in Douglas, Sarpy and Pottawattamie Counties. The program targets individuals and families who have the longest episodes of homelessness and those who have high service needs. The Case Manager will work to assess, verify eligibility, assist clients with locating and securing housing, and provide long-term case management/supportive service to clients in the program.
Intensive case management responsibilities begin at this level. Educational requirements are very specific. Decision making, problem solving, and highly developed interpersonal skills are critical. This position requires high level of social work skills, practice and knowledge.
Work Schedule: Monday through Thursday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and Friday 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Conducts assessments to accept, deny, and refer applicants.
- Responsible for verifying and documenting the eligibility of applicants and maintaining comprehensive service records for all approved or denied clients.
- Assist individuals in locating, securing and retaining suitable housing.
- *Assists the clients in identification of strengths, needs and goals, including meeting obligations of tenancy to maintain their home and reducing risk of harm to themselves and others.
- Develops a housing stability plan in cooperation with the client.
- Assist clients in increasing financial security by accessing, maintaining or improving employment and/or benefits.
- Provides, either directly or by referral to other agencies, planned and crisis response services to meet the needs of the household including concrete supports, interventions to reduce stress and mitigate trauma histories.
- Teach/coach clients to develop communication and self- advocacy skills.
- *Work is completed in client homes, homeless shelters, office space, and other non-traditional settings.
- *Ensures safety and security measures for in-home services are followed.
- *Ensure required information is collected, entered into prescribed formats, and reported in a timely manner – as outlined by Federal funding and internal reporting guidelines.
- *Develops and maintains positive working relationships with landlords, clients, referral sources, and others encountered in the course of work.
- *Provides problem solving and crisis intervention services to empower clients to develop self-sufficiency.
- Demonstrates knowledge of current community and Heartland Family Service programs and resources to effectively meet client needs.
- *Evaluates efficiency and effectiveness of community service providers on an ongoing basis to ensure clients are receiving quality care.
- *Is able to work both independently, with little supervision, and as a part of a team.
- *Utilizes trauma-informed care and culturally competent principles in providing services to clients.
- *Able to establish regularity and dependability in scheduling all appointments and accuracy in reports and statistics.
- Displays a courteous and caring attitude at all times to the clientele, volunteers, and visitors of the Agency.
- Abides by all specific program and Agency procedures, policies, and requirements.
- Cooperates and collaborates with staff, volunteers, landlords and referral sources.
- Travel is required, including use of personal vehicle if agency vehicle is not available.
- *Is dependable and punctual regarding scheduling and attendance
- Able to evaluate HFS program services and make recommendations.
- Develops personal and program related skills through participation in internal and external training opportunities including printed material and audio and/or visual media.
- *Creates, maintains, and shares as appropriate a dynamic self-care plan.
- *Strives to make connections between the agency and the larger community whenever possible in order to contribute to the agency’s ongoing fundraising and friend-raising efforts.
- *Essential functions of this job is to be performed on company physical work site.
- Performs other program related duties as assigned.
*DENOTES ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work or Human Service field, and two years direct care experience in Human Services preferred; or equivalent
- Valid Driver’s License and acceptable driving record
Communication – Clearly conveying and receiving messages to meet the needs of all, expressing oneself effectively, understanding underlying issues and adapting communication for the situation.
Teamwork – Working cooperatively and productively with others to achieve results by actively participating in the team and involving other team members.
Problem Solving & Judgment – Ability to assess options and implications in order to identify a solution by breaking down problems, recognizing basic and multiple relationships and can develop complex plans and/or analyses.
Adaptability – Personal willingness and ability to work in and adapt to change, valuing the need for adaptability, demonstrating adaptability through adapting approach and strategy.
Client Focus – Understanding and meeting or exceeding client needs through responsive client service and contributing to positive outcomes for the client, meeting long term client needs.
Innovation - Using original and creative thinking to make improvements and/or develop and initiate new approaches for own job/area as well as the organization and does things new to the organization.
Relationship Building – Developing and maintaining win/win relationships and partnerships through establishing formal working relationships.
Service Facilitation – Creates networks to ensure required services are delivered effectively, providing information as required.
Organizational Awareness & Commitment – Understands the structure and culture of the organization and supports the organization’s values, principles and goals; demonstrating an understanding of the organization beyond own workgroup and can anticipate and meet organizational needs.
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITY SPECIFICATIONS
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions).
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
(Work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions).
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is not exposed to weather conditions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Heartland Family Service