Back to Search New Search

JAVA AWS Engineer

First Data San Diego, CA
Save

Job Description

Description

 

First Data is a global leader in commerce-enabling technology solutions, serving more than six million business locations and 4,000 financial institutions in 118 countries around the world. Our 23,000 owner-associates are dedicated to helping companies, from start-ups to the world's largest corporations, conduct commerce every day by securing and processing more than 2,300 transactions per second and $1.9 trillion per year.

 

First Data is looking for a strong JAVA Engineer.

You will be part of an agile team using Scrum. Our teams include software engineers, QA engineers, product development managers, and scrum masters. A typical day consists of brief standup meetings, roughly 80% coding & building new features on your own and sometimes in a pair programming environment. The other 20% of your time will be spent helping with technical issues, planning for releases, or assisting with technical issues.

 

Job Responsibilities:

  • Develop and maintain cloud-based solutions for our gift card program deployed in over 54 countries, supporting 350 of the world's largest retail brands, used by thousands of customers daily.
  • Work on an Agile Scrum team composed of engineers, QA, and product development managers.
  • Participate in all aspects of Agile product development, including doing test driven software development utilizing a continuous integration process.
  • Identify technical requirements in product meetings and assist the business team with realistic project planning and feature development. Translate product requirements into functional, maintainable, extensible software that is in-line with company objectives.
  • Own your merchant-facing services/features from development through deployment and production monitoring.
  • Work with QA to develop test plans/strategies.

Requirements:

  • Undergraduate degree in either Computer Science, Operation Research, Applied Mathematics, Economics or another quantitative discipline
  • Strong coding skills; Java is our language of choice. 5-7 years experience in JAVA 
  • Object-Oriented Development: A solid understanding of object-oriented design principles.
  • Cloud Computing: Experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS) or other cloud computing environments is a plus.
  • Databases: Must have experience working with one or more of the following:   MySQL, Oracle SQL, MongoDB, Solr, Redis. 
  • Experience with API design 
  • Superior problem-solving skills and debugging capabilities 
  • Flexible and self-driven: We are a small development team recently acquired by First Data. As such, we wear a lot of hats around here, and we need someone who has start up experience, or sufficient flexibility of mind to be able to pivot from task to task quickly and efficiently.
  • Communication Skills: As an engineer, the candidate must be able to communicate efficiently both one on one and in small groups with other engineers. There may be limited client interaction, but that is not expected to be a major component of the job. 

Nice to have:

  • Interest in working with multiple parts of the stack 
  • Experience with a cloud platform: AWS, Google Cloud, etc. 
  • Experience with AWS Lambda
  • Experience with test driven development is a plus
  • Node.js, Python
  • Experience with Android, or iOS platforms 
  • Data analysis experience
 

Job Details

Date Posted June 12, 2018
Date Closes July 16, 2018
Requisition 1800005U
Located In San diego, CA
SOC Category 00-0000.00

This job is related other jobs in these career categories

Location