Company:BHHIC Berkshire Hathaway Homestate Insurance Company
As a member of the Berkshire Hathaway group of insurance companies, we offer outstanding opportunities for professionals interested in working with a successful company. We offer unparalleled financial strength, stability and "large company" benefits, in addition to an exciting, friendly, "small company" atmosphere.
*Candidates must be local and able to work in Omaha for at least 2 semesters while taking on a full-time course load.*
Berkshire Hathaway Homestate Insurance Company is a member of the Berkshire Hathaway group of insurance companies owned by Berkshire Hathaway Inc.
- **Online/Remote hours available as situation dictates**
- Flexible; Between 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- 15-20 hours per week depending on the applicant's schedule during the school year
- More hours available in Summer (up to 40 hours per week)
1314 Douglas Street (Omaha World-Herald Building)
During this internship, the student will learn:
- To map workflows and outline procedural gaps
- To challenge process and assist in driving change
- To work independently in a business environment
This internship will give the qualified candidate an opportunity to obtain valuable experience in insurance operations. Duties involve collaborating with others as well as working independently and may include the following:
- Identify opportunities to improve efficiencies within department, and assist in developing and making recommendation to management when appropriate
- Ensure consistency and accuracy of coding of company expenses
- Increase operational efficiency by organizing electronic file library
- Assist in the preparation of general ledger account reconciliations
- Contribute to compliance with NAIC Model Audit Rule, including documentation of process areas and testing of key controls
- Ad hoc internet research, spreadsheet preparation, some clerical responsibilities such as filing, copying, scanning and data organization
- At least sophomore class standing
- Satisfactory completion of introductory accounting courses and a basic understanding of accounting and financial principles
- Maintain full-time course load during Spring and Fall semesters
- Strong problem solving ability and high comfort level with data manipulation
- Proficiency with personal computers and software such as Excel, PowerPoint and Word
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent oral / written communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to meet deadlines
A comprehensive benefits package is available for regular, full-time employees, including health, vision, dental, life and disability insurance as well as a 401(k) with company match. We also proudly offer 100% upfront tuition reimbursement to regular, full-time employees, to further your education. Our Omaha office boasts a complimentary state-of-the-art, on-site gym, a robust wellness program, low-cost downtown parking, and numerous volunteer and networking opportunities with other emerging professionals.
Berkshire Hathaway Homestate Companies