As a member of the Berkshire Hathaway group of insurance companies, we offer outstanding opportunities for professionals interested in working with a successful company. We offer unparalleled financial strength, stability and “large company” benefits, in addition to an exciting, friendly, “small company” atmosphere.
We have an immediate opening in our Accounting Department for a motivated Accountant responsible for preparing, analyzing, and communicating the internal and external Company financial statements, working papers, and statistical and management information related to one or more companies and/or divisions.
- Compiles, reviews, analyzes and reconciles, and interprets financial information from various sources and prepares working papers and internal, statutory and GAAP basis Company financial statements and supplementary schedules for one or more companies. (This includes the statutory annual statement and separate GAAP basis financial statement packages for assigned companies.)
- May reconcile assigned company investment and cash accounts, as well as basic general ledger account reconciliations. Provide Financial Reporting Administrator and company accountants with support in preparing schedules and research/analysis for more difficult account reconciliations.
- May review or determine general ledger account, department and allocation coding for invoices, check requests by understanding nature of the invoice or asking Management to clarify nature of disbursement as needed. Verifies requests have been appropriately approved. Determines date payment is due if not previously recorded and when special tax reporting such as Form 1099 and Use Tax is required. Answers questions concerning allocation procedures and department cash disbursement controls
- Maintains working knowledge of related insurance accounting and financial reporting developments by locating and reading relevant internet based or hard copy instructions, text books, and/or state regulations and discussing with others.
- Responds to inquiries and answers questions from internal, external, or insurance department auditors regarding financial transactions, balances, and procedures.
Performs special projects or related duties as assigned or as situation dictates.