Kirkham Michael provides integrated engineering and construction services to a wide variety of public and private clients. We are a dynamic firm focused on our clients’ success and we fulfill the project and program needs from initial concept through implementation with innovative, yet practical solutions.
We are currently looking for an energetic and knowledgeable individual to fill a full-time Transportation Engineer In Training position in our Des Moines, Iowa Office. This position could be filled by a recent graduate or an individual with professional experience up to three years in the field. The title/level of the position will be based on the skills and experience of the candidate selected.
Primary Function: Acquires basic knowledge and develops skills in a specific practice area. Has an understanding of professional and ethical responsibilities. Collects data and gathers information or documents. Performs standard computations or analysis. Prepares drawings and visual aids. Observes construction activities. Performs basic survey services.
- Prepares, modifies and checks site and roadway design elements/computations including; geometrics, vertical profiles, cross-sections, culvert design, pavement design and marking, and traffic control.
- Assists in the preparation or modification of reports, specifications, plans, construction schedules, and permits for projects. Instructs designers/technicians to reduce designs to working drawings.
- Assists in the development of probable construction quantities and construction costs estimated for design projects with the department.
- Designs and conducts analyzes and interprets data.
- Assists with construction observation, construction staking, and topographical survey tasks.
- Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering
- Engineering Intern certification (or have exam scheduled to be completed)
- Experience with Geopak and Microstation skills preferred
- Experience or knowledge of Iowa DOT Standards and Procedures is preferred
- ACI level 1 or Iowa DOT PCC 1 certification is a plus.
- Strong technical/qualitative writing ability
- Strong sense of urgency and self-initiative to meet client deadlines
- Participation in Professional Organizations
Kirkham Michael is a great place to work where you can achieve both your professional and personal goals. Kirkham Michael offers a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes medical, dental, vision, life, and a flex spending account as well as an employee stock ownership plan (ESOP), 401 (K) plan and professional development plans (tuition reimbursement/professional memberships). At Kirkham Michael, employees are rewarded based on performance so you create your own destiny!