Union Pacific Railroad Denver, CO
Ensure safe, on-time/on-plan train operation and movement in compliance with company and Federal rules and instructions.
IMPORTANT: The following job posting is for:
- Current Union Pacific employees interested in transferring to train crew from another (non train crew) craft; AND
- External applicants
NOTE: Active or furloughed train crew employees should not apply to this posting; and instead must apply to the Train Crew Transfer - Employee Initiated job posting by logging into their UP.Jobs account.
The location in which you are interested is part of a transportation hub. Please review the train crew hub map, as successful candidates may be required to work in any location within the respective hub.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Ensure safe, on-time/on-plan train operation and movement in compliance with company and Federal rules and instructions.
- The statements in this section are essential job functions that an employee must be able to perform with or without reasonable accommodation in order to achieve the objectives of the job. In this regard, please note that the description is generic and represents a composite across like position assignments. There may be position specific differences related to geography, available technology, work force levels, incumbent seniority level, etc. which should be clarified in individual situations.
- Responsible for train operation and movement.
- Operate locomotive equipment including the use of a remote control device.
- Perform hostler operations of operating locomotives between various shop locations, service tracks and switching areas.
- Pushing, pulling, lifting, and carrying up to 25 pounds frequently, 50 pounds occasionally, and assisting in the infrequent movement of weights of up to 83 pounds.
- Following safety precautions.
- Reading and comprehending regulations and instructions.
- Analyzing and troubleshooting problems to identify solutions or alternatives.
- Monitoring the situation, environment, and gauges to gather information and take appropriate action.
- In the past 36 months from the date of this application, you must have not had any of the following related to alcohol or drugs: driving convictions completed state actions, or suspensions or revocations of drivers license.
- Applicants must be 18 years of age or older.
- Must have a valid drivers license.
- Applicants for this position must pass a pre-employment test in English before being allowed to interview. Click here to see a sample of the reading test.
- Physical Ability: Ability to apply muscular strength, power, flexibility, aerobic capacity, range of motion, and endurance in the performance of the physical requirements of the job. Click here for a description of the Physical Abilities Test
- Safety Orientation: The willingness to practice safe work habits.
- Basic keyboarding.
- Manual Dexterity: Ability to make quick, accurate, skillful, and coordinated hand movements to grasp, place, or move objects.
- Reaction Time: Ability to respond or react quickly to a situation using a single movement of the hands, arms, or legs.
- Stress Tolerance: Working productively and effectively when faced with stressful working conditions.
Transportation employees are responsible for serving our customers by providing the safe, on-time and on-plan movement of freight trains. From the switchman organizing freight cars in the train yard to the train crew's delivery of goods, Transportation makes up the largest portion of Union Pacific's workforce. Employees are assigned to specific hubs throughout Union Pacific's 23-state network that dictate the geographic region of work.
Union Pacific is one of America's premier transportation and logistics companies, linking 23 states in the western two-thirds of the country and serving many of the fastest-growing U.S. cities. Generations of Americans have built successful careers at Union Pacific and in the process, they've helped build a nation delivering lumber for our homes, food for our tables, energy for our power plants and the countless raw materials and finished goods that supply the American way of life.
| Date Posted
August 10, 2017
| Date Closes
September 9, 2017
| Located In
| SOC Category