The overall purpose of this job is to provide support and assistance to recreation therapy by following care plans for residents and completing assigned duties. The primary responsibilities of this job include executing various activities with residents. This position may also be responsible for communicating with resident's family members and coordinating social gatherings under the direction of Recreation Therapy. Supports and lives out Immanuel's Mission and CHRIST Promises.
Key Responsibilities and Duties of the Job
- Graduate of an accredited Occupational Therapy Assistant School with an Associate Degree.
- Successful completion of the Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant (COTA) exam.
- Certified by the National Board For Certification as a COTA.
- Equivalent years of experience may substitute for education requirement.
- Two (2) years experience in a social or recreation therapy program within the last 5 years within a skilled nursing community or related experience is required.
- Equivalent years of education may substitute for experience requirement.
- Certification in Basic Life Support and First Aid is preferred or willingness to obtain certification within 60 days of hire.
- Completion of Nebraska-certified Activity Coordinator course or certified therapeutic recreation specialist preferred.
KSA- Knowledge Skills and Abilities-
- Knowledge of principles, practices, standards and techniques of Recreation Therapy.
- Knowledge of physical, mental, spiritual, and social needs of the senior and/or frail elderly population and their families.
- Knowledge of Immanuel, its mission and Promises, and how those are directly correlated to the incumbent's job.
- Skilled in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with residents/participants, co-workers, family members, and vendors.
- Skilled in effective and appropriate written communication.
- Skilled in facilitating group interaction processes.
- Skilled in the use of computers including programs specific to the job.
- Ability to appropriately use equipment, facilities, and materials to do certain work.
- Ability to consistently work in a positive and cooperative manner with fellow employees.
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally; make eye contact, pleasantly greet people, and use tact and diplomacy in interactions at all levels.
- Ability to organize and effectively use time, resources, and talents.