Purpose of the Job:
Implements recreational therapy programs and activities to improve the functioning of participants who have a wide variety of physical, cognitive, social and emotional needs under the clinical supervision of a Certified Recreational Therapist. Supports and lives out Immanuel's Mission and CHRIST Promises.
Key Responsibilities and Duties of the Job
Compliance & Documentation
- High School Diploma or GED/equivalent required.
- Active Certified Nursing Assistant (C.N.A.) certificate required or must be obtained within six (6) months of hire.
- Two (2) years experience in a social or recreational program providing services for a frail or elderly population required. Experience within the last five years preferred.
- One (1) year of experience which is/was full-time in a patient activities program and in a health care setting required.
- One (1) year of experience working with the frail or elderly population required, or completion of job specific training related to working with the elderly population must be completed within the first six months of hire.
- Experience working with dementia preferred.
- Equivalent years of education may substitute for experience requirement.
- Be legally authorized (currently licensed or if applicable, certified or registered) to practice the job's functions and actions in the respective state in which he/she is employed.
- Only act within the scope of his/her authority to practice in the respective state in which he/she is employed.
- Agree to abide by the philosophy, practices, and protocols of the PACE organization.
- Job specific competencies for the Activities Coordinator will be met prior to assuming participant care.
- Must have medical clearance for communicable diseases and up-to-date immunizations before having direct participant contact.
- Must have a valid driver's license, proof of insurance and have reliable means of transportation.
- Basic Life Support (BLS) Skills i.e. Health Care Level Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR); Automated External Defibrillator (AED); First Aide (FA).
KSA- Knowledge Skills and Abilities-
- Knowledge of physical, psychosocial and behavioral needs of the elderly population.
- Knowledge of recreational therapy techniques and practices of the elderly.
- Knowledge of the dementia disease process.
- Knowledge of illnesses common to frail and elderly adult population.
- Skilled in effective listening, as well as, written and oral communication.
- Ability to develop programs independently for a variety of populations.
- Ability to work at multiple sites. (Valid driver's license/reliable transportation).
- Ability to identify problems and resolve some without assistance.
- Ability to follow direction or instructions.
- Ability to chart via Electronic Health Records.
- Proven experience and basic computer proficiency (Microsoft Office, email, calendar, internet)
- Ability to safely assist participants in activities, including physical support when needed.
- Ability to assist in set-up/teardown room arrangement and equipment for events.
- Ability to provide excellent customer service.