$1500 HIRING BONUS!!
In a career as a Cook, you join us in providing life-changing care to patients from across the regionThe Cook prepares assigned menu items and maintains a clean, organized kitchen. This position serves the Visitors Center CafÃ© on the Boys Town Campus.
Schedule: 10:30 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. Tuesday - Saturday
- Prepares assigned menu items and serving line, sanitizes kitchen area and equipment, and ensures proper food storage.
- Prepares food for the school breakfast and lunch program, evening meals, patients, employees, customers, special events, and/or meetings including cooking, baking, shredding, and slicing. Prepares kitchen and food for following day as needed.
- Cooks quickly, efficiently and according to menu and recipes.
- Takes and records food temperatures according to Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP) food safety policies; records temperatures again prior to service.
- Ensures that food is good quality and is ready on time.
- Determines correct food portions; utilizes kitchen resources efficiently.
- Arranges food for service and serves food ensuring appropriate utensils are used for serving.
- Sanitizes and cleans kitchen and service area and dining room; ensures food is properly stored and handled.
- Serves as a role model in carrying out the Father Flanagans Boys Home mission.
- Directs all activities towards the fulfillment of the Boys Town mission
- Directs all actions to reflect the values and principles of Boys Town
- Establishes and maintains an environment that encourages teamwork, collaboration, and ethical behavior
- Maintains regular, reliable and predictable attendance
- Supports other members of the management team and their work
- Other Duties: This job description incorporates the essential functions and duties required for this position. However, other duties may be required and assigned at times and as determined by a supervisor in order to meet the needs of the organization
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to communicate in an articulate, professional manner.
- Ability to use and troubleshoot kitchen appliances and cooking utensils to complete recipes.
- Knowledge of food safety regulations.
- Knowledge of basic math skills required to ensure accuracy of recorded yields.
- Ability to multi-task.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
- High school diploma or equivalent preferred.
- 6 months to 1 year of previous experience preferably including food services.
- Must be at least 18 years old.
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSURES, AND LANGUAGE SKILLS:
- ServSafe Food Handlers certified or ability to obtain within 90 days after hire.
Position requires moderate physical activity handling of average weight objects up to 20 pounds frequently and up to 50 pounds occasionally; standing and/or walking continuously.
Subject to inside environmental conditions, with exposure to extreme cold from walk-in coolers and freezers and extreme heat working with stoves, ovens, and steam tables. Exposure to odors and cleaning solutions and kitchen equipment.
About Boys Town:
Boys Town has been changing the way America cares for children and families since 1917. With over a century of service, our employees have helped us grow from a small boardinghouse in downtown Omaha, Nebraska, into one of the largest national child and family care organizations in the country. With the addition of Boys Town National Research Hospital in 1977, our services branched out into the health care and research fields, offering even more career opportunities to those looking to make a real difference.
Our employees are our #1 supporters when it comes to achieving Boys Towns mission, which is why we are proud of their commitment to making the world a better place for children, families, patients, and communities. Unique perks to Boys Town employees and their families include free visits to Boys Town physicians and free prescriptions under the Boys Town Medical Plan, tuition assistance, parenting resources from our experts and professional development opportunities within the organization, just to name a few. Working at Boys Town is more than just a job, it is a way of life.
Date Posted: August 22, 2022