Job Title: Director of Laboratory Service
Location: Boys Town National Research Hospital- West
Job Summary: Under the general direction of the Sr. Director of Ancillaries and Support, Director of Laboratory Services is responsible for the overall administrative and technical non-waived testing facilities, transplant services, as well as transport services for Boys Town National Research Hospital (BTNRH). In addition, provides oversight for all technical aspects of waived testing at all point of patient care locations. Responsibilities include, but is not limited to, the overall management of assigned departments including, administrative, financial, regulatory, quality improvement, technical, and personnel activities in accordance with established hospital and departmental policies and regulatory standards. Consults as appropriate with the contracted Laboratory Medical Director.
- Administrative: Develops and maintains a collaborative relationship with Administration, BTNRH clinicians, and other department leaders through open and timely communication. Communicates effectively using both written and verbal skills. Sets expectations for and holds staff accountable for a high level of customer service and promotes customer service recovery across departmental lines.
- Financial: Responsible for the development and adherence to operating budgets. Employs financial analysis to determine cost effectiveness of new or replacement instrumentation or technology so that BTNRH maintains or exceeds community standards for quality of patient care.
- Regulatory: Ensures laboratory, transplant services, and transport services throughout the organization meet regulatory compliance including but not limited to; The Joint Commission, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid (CMS), Food and Drug Administration (FDA), OSHA, DOT.
- Quality Improvement: Directs performance improvement activities of the laboratory and transport services. Participates in quality improvement committee meetings and ad hoc interdepartmental activities.
- Technical: In collaboration with the Laboratory Medical Director, provides oversight for all day to day technical aspects of patient testing for BTNRH to insure compliance with all regulatory agencies. Plans and oversees test menu expansion or methodology changes to ensure compliance with all regulatory agencies, in the most cost effective manner possible.
- Personnel: Ensures all departments are staffed with qualified/trained personnel. Provides oversight for all training and competency assessment.
- Promotes the culture of safety and a non-punitive environment
- Other Duties: This job description incorporates the essential functions and duties required for this position. However, other duties may be required and assigned at times and as determined by a supervisor in order to meet the needs of the organization.
- Bachelors degree in medical technology, chemical, physical, or biological sciences from an accredited college or university
- Minimum of (7) seven years of clinical experience
- Minimum (5) Five years of progressively responsible laboratory management experience in a hospital setting
- Registration or licensure by the American Society of Clinical Pathology (ASCP), National Credentialing Agency (NCA), or Clinical Laboratory Specialists (CLS) or other nationally recognized licensing agency
- Must have experience with regulatory and accreditation of laboratory operations, preferably CLIA, CAP, Joint Commission and/or AABB
- Must be BLS certified
- Must have ability to work well with infants, children, and adults
- Strong planning, communication, and project leadership skills.
About Boys Town National Research Hospital:
Boys Town National Research Hospital offers a broad range of hospital and clinic services, backed by 40 years of life-changing research to provide the latest, most innovative care to our patients. From pediatric inpatient hospitalization and surgical services, to outpatient visits, to residential care for children and adolescents with severe behavioral disorders, our board-certified specialists and highly trained pediatric nurses' focus on caring for the unique needs of children and their families. Boys Town National Research Hospital is a license acute care hospital and psychiatric residential treatment facility and accredited by The Joint Commission. Boys Town National Research Hospital is part of Boys Town, which has been committed to the care of children for over 100 years.
Our employees are our #1 supporters when it comes to achieving Boys Town's mission, which is why we offer an array of competitive and attractive benefit options. Unique perks to Boys Town employees and their families include free visits to Boys Town Physicians, free prescriptions, tuition assistance, access to the campus Field House, parenting resources from our expects and advancement opportunities within the organization, just to name a few. Working at Boys Town is more than just a job; it is a way of life.
Date Posted: January 18,2021
Boys Town National Research Hospital is a tobacco free campus. This advertisement describes the general nature of work to be performed and does not include an exhaustive list of all duties, skills, or abilities required. Boys Town is an equal employment opportunity employer and participates in the E-Verify program. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, age, disability or veteran status. To request a disability-related accommodation in the application process, contact us at 1-877-639-6003.