Business: Boys Town
In a career as an Equipment Operator, your behind-the-scenes work is what leads to making the magic of our mission come true every day. Boys Town serves thousands of children and their families around the United States, which means that we need you to keep our operations running smoothly and efficiently. No matter your role at Boys Town, you contribute to helping us change the future of Americas youth.
Schedule: Full Time
- Safe and efficient operation of large equipment.
- Operates multiple pieces of construction equipment (i.e. tractor, front-end loader, snow-plows, high-reach/boom truck, chainsaws, and snow blowers) used in grounds-related activities such as landscaping, material cleanup, tree and snow removal.
- Operates all heavy equipment in a safe and appropriate manner.
- Conducts pre-operational checks on equipment, and cleans, lubricates and refills the equipment as necessary. Performs daily maintenance and safety checks of equipment. Documents regular maintenance checks to maintain adequate records of equipment performance.
- Maneuvers heavy equipment into loading or unloading positions, following signals from loading crew as needed; checks that the vehicle position is correct and any special loading equipment is properly positioned.
- Performs minor repairs on equipment issues. Reports needs for larger repairs to the appropriate parties.
- Ensures a sound understanding of the issues involving ground disturbance.
- Uses various pieces of equipment to perform fine grading and finishing, sloping and banking, backfilling, demolition, ditching, loading, excavating and stockpiling.
- Operates equipment on roadways, maintaining proper awareness of one's surroundings.
- Stores and cleans machinery at its designated location and completes work reports at the end of each working day.
- Trains new employees in the safe and efficient operation of construction equipment.
- Abides by all local, state, and federal regulations, as well as all company safety procedures.
- Assists the Ground Maintenance Specialists by participating in the production, maintenance, and clean-up of grounds and facilities.
- Maintains landscaped areas, flower beds, and interior plants, and assists with habitat and lake maintenance and with greenhouse operations.
- Maintains fruit tree and orchard production including pruning trees for proper growth and repair and removes hazardous trees and limbs.
- Controls growth of unwanted species of weeds and grass by weeding, cultivating, and trimming; identifies the need for, applies, maintains, and properly disposes of chemical pesticide.
- Operates grounds maintenance equipment including zero turn and large area mowers, and chainsaws from the basket of a boom truck; drives Boys Town vehicle as needed to complete duties of the job.
- Maintains equipment, including sharpening blades, replacing belts and bearings, and completing tune ups.
- Performs general building maintenance and removes snow, ice, and other debris as needed; utilizes plow, loader, blade, blower and shovel.
- Serves as a role model in carrying out the Father Flanagans Boys Home mission.
- High school diploma or equivalent is preferred.
- 2 to 3 years' experience operating a diverse range of heavy equipment is required.
- Previous experience in grounds maintenance or agriculture.
- Must possess a valid drivers license with a good driving record and pass an annual Motor Vehicle Registration (MVR) check.
- This position is on-call (continuously or rotationally) to provide support. Available to work evenings, weekends, and holidays if needed.
State of Nebraska certified pesticide and herbicide applicator license is required within 90 days of hire. Will be certified in house post hire to operate boom truck, forklift, and front-end loader. *Boys Town will pay for the license and certification!
About Boys Town:
Boys Town has been changing the way America cares for children and families since 1917. With over a century of service, our employees have helped us grow from a small boardinghouse in downtown Omaha, Nebraska, into one of the largest national child and family care organizations in the country. With the addition of Boys Town National Research Hospital in 1977, our services branched out into the health care and research fields, offering even more career opportunities to those looking to make a real difference.
Our employees are our #1 supporters when it comes to achieving Boys Towns mission, which is why we are proud of their commitment to making the world a better place for children, families, patients, and communities. Unique perks to Boys Town employees and their families include free visits to Boys Town physicians and free prescriptions under the Boys Town Medical Plan, tuition assistance, parenting resources from our experts and professional development opportunities within the organization, just to name a few. Working at Boys Town is more than just a job, it is a way of life.
Date Posted: August 24, 2021
This advertisement describes the general nature of work to be performed and does not include an exhaustive list of all duties, skills, or abilities required. Boys Town is an equal employment opportunity employer and participates in the E-Verify program. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status. To request a disability-related accommodation in the application process, contact us at 1-877-639-6003.