Business: Boys Town
$1,000 Hiring Bonus ($500 paid out at 30 days and 6 months)
In a career as a Crisis Counselor with the Boys Town National Hotline, you have the opportunity to bring forward your passion of helping other people. Sometimes, a friendly, nonjudgmental voice can be the difference between utter despair and a glimmer of hope. Hope is exactly what thousands of people each year find when they call the Boys Town National Hotline. You would make an impact by addressing issues ranging from bullying and family problems to substance abuse and suicidal thoughts.
This is NOT a remote or work from home position.
- Option 1: Saturday and Sunday (2:30p-11p) 24 hours/week.
- Option 2: Tuesday and Wednesday 5p-11p, every other Saturday and Sunday (2:30p-11p). Average 20 hours/week
Job Summary: Boys Town National Hotline is a 24/7 crisis line; with a primary focus to de-escalate crisis situations presented via phone, chat, text and email. Crisis situations can range from parenting questions, relationship struggles, child abuse, anxiety, depression to suicidal thoughts and suicide attempts in progress. If you have a passion for helping others, you enjoy providing support and encouragement to others, and enjoy working in a team environment the crisis counselor position would be a good fit for you!
- Assesses immediate and long-term safety of the client to determine what next steps should be taken.
- Use basic counseling techniques such as questioning, paraphrasing, and reflective listening.
- Remains calm and objective during life-threatening situations, enlists support of senior staff as needed for difficult calls, and makes joint decisions about further action.
- Provide helpful information to clients including parenting skills and problem solving and walks client through steps to arrive at a solution.
- Follows established actions in handling each call, text and email and utilizes judgment within each situation.
- Documents details and information given within the course of the contact and provides reports as needed.
- Determines urgency and nature of contact and provides appropriate short-term crisis counseling or resource information, problem solving techniques, and advice.
- Serve as a role model in carrying out the Boys Town mission.
- Bachelors degree REQUIRED, preferrably in Social or Behavioral Science areas.
- Previous crisis intervention or hotline experience preferred.
- High level of interpersonal, critical thinking, and problem solving skills.
- Computer skills in Microsoft Office, or other related programs, and web-based or other electronic communication formats.
- Ability to communicate verbally and in writing in an articulate, professional manner while maintaining necessary degree of confidentiality and appropriate content.
About Boys Town: Boys Town has been changing the way America cares for children and families since 1917. Our employees have helped us grow from a small boardinghouse in downtown Omaha, Nebraska, into one of the largest national child and family care organizations in the country. With the addition of Boys Town National Research Hospital in 1977, our services branched out into the health care and research fields, offering even more career opportunities to those looking to make a real difference.
Our employees are our #1 supporters when it comes to achieving Boys Towns mission, which is why we are proud of their commitment to making the world a better place for children, families, patients, and communities. Unique perks to Boys Town employees and their families include free visits to Boys Town physicians and free prescriptions under the Boys Town Medical Plan, tuition assistance, parenting resources from our experts and professional development opportunities within the organization, just to name a few. Working at Boys Town is more than just a job, it is a way of life.
Date Posted: September 1, 2021
This advertisement describes the general nature of work to be performed and does not include an exhaustive list of all duties, skills, or abilities required. Boys Town is an equal employment opportunity employer and participates in the E-Verify program. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, age, disability or veteran status. To request a disability-related accommodation in the application process, contact us at 1-877-639-6003.