SOAR Benefit Specialist
Community Alliance Omaha, NE
The SOAR Benefit Specialist is responsible for assisting individuals with mental illness in navigating the application process for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) for purposes of facilitating access and meeting the recovery needs for persons served. Priority for these services are individuals who experience homelessness and include those with co-occurring mental illness and substance use disorders.
- Screen individuals for service eligibility based on program criteria and priorities for service.
- Collect medical records and assessment information from multiple sources to expedite the application process.
- Write medical summaries documenting the severity and duration of the individual’s mental illness and the resulting functional limitations in obtaining gainful employment.
- Communicate and coordinate application progress on a regular basis with Social Security Administration (SSA) and Nebraska Disability Determination Services (DDS).
- Identify other community resources of benefit to the person served and assisting the individual in obtaining services through referral and coordination with other behavioral health, social service, and homeless service providers.
- Bachelors Degree in Human Services related field, or two years post High School course work in a Human Services field plus two years relevant experience/training of a professional nature.
- Demonstrated knowledge and skills in mental health and substance use rehabilitation and recovery principles, service delivery, and behavior intervention/management practices on direct service level.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing
- Basic knowledge of characteristics and needs of persons with a serious mental illness, including persons with co-occurring mental illness and substance use disorders.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with diverse individuals and groups.
- Possession of valid driver’s license and good driving record.
| Date Posted
January 18, 2019
| Date Closes
February 17, 2019
| Located In
| Job Type
40 hours per week; 8:30am - 5:00pm
| SOC Category
21-1015.00 Rehabilitation Counselors
This job offers the following benefits
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan
- Dependent-Care Spending Accounts
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Health-Care Spending Accounts
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment
- Dependent Life Insurance
- Domestic Partner Benefits (Different-sex)
- Domestic Partner Benefits (Same-Sex)
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Life Insurance
- Long-Term Disability
- Maternity / Paternity / Family Leave
- Prescription Drug Plan
- Professional Liability
- Short-Term Disability
- Voluntary Life Insurance
- Bereavement Pay
- Casual Dress
- Employee Referral Program
- Free Parking
- Health Fair
- Holiday Party
- Paid Holidays
- Paid Vacations
- Merit Increases
This job requires the following skills
- Business - Writing
- Customer Service
- Problem Resolution
- Social Worker
- Excellent Communication
This job is related other jobs in these career categories
Course(s) relevant to the skills listed for this position