Primary Function: Responsible for supporting the day-to-day operations of the in-place security solutions. Secondary tasks may include involvement in the implementation of new security solutions, participation in the creation and or maintenance of policies, standards, baselines, guidelines and procedures as well as conducting vulnerability audits and assessments. The IT Security Administrator is expected to be fully aware of the enterprise security goals as established by its stated policies, procedures and guidelines and to actively work towards upholding those goals.
Operational Management (60%)
- Maintain up-to-date baselines for the secure configuration and operations of all in-place devices, whether they be under direct control (i.e. security tools) or not (e.g. workstations, servers, network devices).
- Maintain operational configurations of all in-place security solutions as per the established baselines.
- Monitor all in-place security solutions for efficient and appropriate operations.
- Review logs and reports of all in-place devices, whether they be under direct control (i.e. security tools) or not (e.g. workstations, servers, network devices). Interpret the implications of that activity and devise plans for appropriate resolution.
- Participate in investigations into problematic activity.
- Participate in the design and execution of vulnerability assessments, penetration tests, and security audits.
- Provide on-call support for end users for all in-place security solutions.
- Manages changes to production systems to ensure proper change controls and procedure and documentation updates are completed
- Communicates with both internal and external customers as necessary, keeping them informed of planned outages, incident progress and impending changes
- Identifies and reports risk management and security issues
- Prepares, reads and analyzes a variety of complex reports, spreadsheets and other documentation
Strategy & Planning (20%)
- Participate in the planning and design of enterprise security architecture, under the direction of the IT Security Manager, where appropriate
- Participate, Create and maintain comprehensive documentation as it relates to enterprise security documents (policies, standards, baselines, guidelines, and procedures) under the direction of management
- Develops, implements and manages policies, procedures, and associated training plans related to security awareness
Acquisition & Deployment (20%)
- Maintain up-to-date detailed knowledge of the IT security industry including awareness of new or revised security solutions, improved security processes, and the development of new attacks and threat vectors.
- Recommend additional security solutions or enhancements to existing security solutions to improve overall enterprise security.
- Perform the deployment, integration, and initial configuration of all new security solutions and of any enhancements to existing security solutions in accordance with standard best operating procedures generically and the enterprise’s security documents specifically.
Individual Contributor Qualifications:
- Initiative - Takes prompt action to accomplish tasks and meet goals and objectives.
- Service Orientation – Applies effective interpersonal and problem-solving skills when responding to customers and committed to customer satisfaction.
- Quantity/Quality of Work - Pays close attention to detail. Strives to achieve accuracy and consistency in all tasks.
- Teamwork– Encourages team unity by interacting positively with co-workers through the sharing of information or expertise, working together to solve problems, and putting team success first.
- Time Management - stays focused uses time effectively and prevents irrelevant issues or distractions from interfering with work completion.
- Student focus - the ability to keep the student at the center of what we do, and why we do it.
- Four year degree in computer science or related discipline preferred.
- Certifications in one or more of the following certifications preferred
- CompTIA Security+
- GIAC Information Security Fundamentals
- Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator: Security
- Associate of (ISC)2
- Strong knowledge of network management and analysis tools (Brocade Network Advisor, Wireshark, Aruba NetEdit and Aruba Airwave desired).
- Hands on knowledge of client/server operating systems preferred
- Working technical knowledge of current network hardware and operating systems, protocols, and Internet standards (Ruckus, SonicWALL, Citrix and Aruba highly desired)
- Knowledge of network security measures – firewalls, Intrusion Detection, Virtual Private Network (VPN), Intrusion Prevention, Anti-virus, Anti-spam (CrowdStrike EPP, SonicWALL preferred)
- Strong understanding of IP, TCP/IP, and other network administration protocols.
- Detail oriented with strong analytical and problem solving skills required
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills required
- Demonstrated experience in interacting and working effectively with internal and external constituents to provide the highest quality of customer service
- Demonstrated ability to manage or lead complex projects/tasks simultaneously and work in a fast-paced environment, while producing optimal outcomes
- Flexibility and the ability to operate under stressful, time-sensitive deadlines
- Knowledge of applicable data privacy practices and laws and be able to maintain a high degree of confidentiality
- Ability to present ideas in user-friendly language
- Able to effectively prioritize tasks in a high-pressure environment
- Strong customer service orientation
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment
- On-call availability for up to 7 days per month.
- Sitting for extended periods of time.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, power tools, and to handle other computer components.
- Lifting and transporting of moderately heavy objects, such as computers and peripherals.
NOTE: The statements above are intended to describe the general nature and level of work involved for this job. It is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of this job. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship.
Bellevue University, the largest private, non-profit university in Nebraska, is located just south of Omaha and is part of a vibrant and prosperous metropolitan area of nearly one million residents. Forbes has ranked Omaha as the nation’s most affordable place to live (2011), one of the top ten fastest growing cities in America (2010), and one of the best places for business and careers in America (2010). We emphasize teaching excellence, cyber-active learning, and interactive education. Benefits (health, dental, vision, tuition, etc.) are available with this position.
For more information, check out our home page at http://www.bellevue.edu.
The Higher Education Opportunity Act requires institutions participating in federally funded financial aid programs to make information about the institution available to the public, current and prospective students, and current and prospective employees. The Bellevue University Consumer Information webpage, found at www.bellevue.edu/student-support/consumer-information/consumer-information, provides readily accessible information to help consumers make informed decisions about post-secondary education. Bellevue University’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report (ASR), found at www.bellevue.edu/student-support/consumer-information/pdfs/annual-safety-report.pdf, provides information about campus crime statistics and institutional security policies and procedures as well as information about student housing fire statistics and fire safety policies. You can obtain a paper copy of these reports from the Bellevue Dean of Students office by calling 402-557-7028. In addition to this, Bellevue University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.