The Payroll Analyst is responsible for payroll and time and attendance functions. The incumbent will conduct special studies and work on projects that address pay problems, tax concerns, or other issues encountered across the University’s nationwide footprint. He/she will set up protocols to ensure the confidentiality of pay data and other employee data as well as develop and implement audit procedures to ensure the accuracy of payroll. The Payroll Analyst will be responsible for ensuring the timely and accurate processing of the University’s biweekly and monthly payrolls, including payroll data entry and information updates. The incumbent will also be responsible for creating and executing payroll and related informational reports as to meet business needs.
- Acts as system administrator and primary liaison and relationship manager between the University and ADP.
- Ensures that payroll practices and processing occurs in compliance with federal, state, and local payroll and tax withholding laws in numerous jurisdictions.
- Researches and implements compliant payroll practices in new jurisdictions as they arise.
- Consults and collaborates directly with University legal counsel on complex payroll issues across jurisdictions.
- Oversees payroll transactions and ensures that multi-state payroll is processed timely and accurately.
- Oversees the processing of biweekly and monthly payrolls using ADP.
- Coordinates with the Finance Department and other Human Resources teams with payroll-related functions.
- Ensures ADP has accurate information for the reparation of employee wage summaries, taxes, deductions, leaves, retirement contributions, and benefits.
- Reviews payrolls for accuracy and corrects errors in pay and deductions.
- Verifies hours worked, and pay adjustments, and post information onto designated records.
- Researches discrepancies of payroll information and/or documentation (e.g. time sheets, leave time, salary, supplements, longevity pay, stipends, FMLA, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring accuracy and adherence to procedures prior to processing.
- Responsible for time and attendance functions relevant to payroll processing. Works with Managers to clear discrepancies within the time card. Reviews, closes and import hours from the time card into ADP for biweekly payroll processing.
- Performs final review of payroll data related to salary and coordinate with Human Resources on various corrections and changes for final calculation of payroll.
- Processes withholdings and deductions for federal and multiple state taxes.
- Responds to and processes employee Garnishment Orders.
- Calculates and processes manual checks.
- Audits the accuracy of employee paid time off accruals and balances in ADP.
- Responsible for maintaining pay authorization documents and other payroll records.
- Examines and verifies payroll documents for accuracy, authority, completeness, and legal compliance.
- Adheres to best practices in documenting payroll errors and corrective actions.
- Maintain payroll records and backup files.
- Ensure payroll records are maintained securely and in compliance with record retention policies and legal requirements.
- Assists auditors for the purpose of providing supporting documentation and/or information on internal process that is required for audit.
- Responsible for continual efficiency and improvements in payroll.
- Review and recommend improvements to existing payroll procedures.
- Develop and adhere to best practices to improve efficiency in payroll practices.
- Analyze payroll issues as they arise and provide appropriate resolutions.
- Conduct special studies and projects as needed to address pay problems/issues encountered for the elimination or reduction of similar problems in the future.
- Provides University-wide oversight and support on payroll-related issues.
- Researches and answers employee questions regarding payroll.
- Provides assistance and guidance to those who function in supervisory roles with payroll/time and attendance responsibilities.
- Compiles reports for department and customer reporting metrics.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Individual Contributor Competencies:
- Initiative - Takes prompt action to accomplish tasks and meet goals and objectives.
- Service Orientation – Applies effective interpersonal and problem-solving skills when responding to customers and committed to customer satisfaction.
- Quantity/Quality of Work - Pays close attention to detail. Strives to achieve accuracy and consistency in all tasks.
- Teamwork– Encourages team unity by interacting positively with co-workers through the sharing of information or expertise, working together to solve problems, and putting team success first.
- Time Management - stays focused uses time effectively and prevents irrelevant issues or distractions from interfering with work completion.
- Student focus - the ability to keep the student at the center of what we do, and why we do it. Exhibits passion about improving the educational experiences of our students by creating lasting partnerships.
- Inclusivity - Understands that each individual is unique; recognizes individual differences along the dimensions of: race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, age, mental or physical disability, marital status, veteran status, education, training, position, and level of authority, seniority, full-time or part-time status.
Skills & Abilities:
Education: Associates degree in accounting, human resources, or related field or equivalent experience; related certifications (FPC, CPP) preferred.
- Minimum of three (3) years of payroll experience or demonstrated track record.
- Minimum of one (1) year of experience with multiple state tax filing regulations and requirements preferred or demonstrated track record.
- Demonstrated knowledge of payroll best practices.
- Previous experience using payroll systems. ADP Payroll for Workforce Now experience, preferred.
- Excellent oral and written communication and analytical skills required.
- Ability to work under time constraints and meet daily, weekly and monthly deadlines.
- General knowledge of benefits administration (retirement plan deduction rules (403(b), medical, dental, vision, etc.) as it relates to payroll processing.
- High attention to detail and excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to deal sensitively and confidentially with all payroll data.
- Decision-making, problem-solving, and analytical skills.
- Organizational, multi-tasking, and prioritizing skills.
- Flexibility and adaptability.
- Customer service-oriented mindset, professionalism, and strong collaboration skills.
Computer Skills: Intermediate proficiency in Microsoft Excel, to include the ability to execute VLOOKUP functions, create pivot tables, and analyze trending data.
N (Not Applicable)
Activity is not applicable to this occupation.
Occupation requires this activity up to 33% of the time (0 - 2.5+ hrs./day)
Occupation requires this activity from 33% - 66% of the time (2.5 - 5.5+ hrs./day)
Occupation requires this activity more than 66% of the time (5.5+ hrs./day)
Other Physical Requirements: N/A
Reasonable Accommodations Statement:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable Accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Works in a normal office environment.
NOTE: The statements above are intended to describe the general nature and level of work involved for this job. It is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of this job. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship.
Founded in 1966, Bellevue University is the largest private, non-profit university in Nebraska serving almost 16,000 students annually with more than 57,000 graduates worldwide. The University is a recognized national leader in preparing a diverse population of students for lifelong success with career-relevant knowledge and skills, while making college affordable. Routinely ranked among the nation’s top military-friendly and accessible institutions, the University serves residential students at its main campus in Bellevue, Nebraska, and everywhere online with more than 70 undergraduate and graduate programs uniquely designed for working adults. The University is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission (hlcommission.org).
We emphasize teaching excellence, cyber-active learning, and interactive education. Benefits (health, dental, vision, tuition, etc.) are available with this position. For more information, check out our home page at http://www.bellevue.edu.
The Higher Education Opportunity Act requires institutions participating in federally funded financial aid programs to make information about the institution available to the public, current and prospective students, and current and prospective employees. The Bellevue University Consumer Information webpage, found at www.bellevue.edu/student-support/consumer-information/consumer-information, provides readily accessible information to help consumers make informed decisions about post-secondary education. Bellevue University’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report (ASR), found at www.bellevue.edu/student-support/consumer-information/pdfs/annual-safety-report.pdf, provides information about campus crime statistics and institutional security policies and procedures as well as information about student housing fire statistics and fire safety policies. You can obtain a paper copy of these reports from the Bellevue Dean of Students office by calling 402-557-7028. In addition to this, Bellevue University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.