Westside Early Childhood Programs
The mission of the Westside Early Childhood and Before and After School Programs is to provide a safe, engaging educational environment for children ages eighteen months through sixth grade. The program offers developmentally appropriate opportunities for children to grow and develop socially, emotionally, intellectually, and physically with the support and guidance of competent and compassionate adults.
Westside Community Schools recognizes that young children learn best in an environment that provides opportunities for development and growth of the whole child: physically, emotionally, socially, and intellectually. To nurture this development requires a philosophy that allows children time and opportunity to:
- Stimulate curiosity and enthusiasm for learning.
- Engage in purposeful and playful work.
- Develop self-motivation, self-discipline and self-direction toward purposeful goals.
- Experience growth pertaining to decision-making, problem solving and creative thinking.
- Express themselves through language, drawing, writing, movement and the use of materials and resources.
- Participate in guided and informal learning experiences.
Programs for children ages 18 months - 3 years are provided at our Prairie Lane, Underwood Hills and Westbrook sites. These programs are based on the developmental stages of toddlers, including activities that help with language skills, gaining a sense of independence and feeling comfortable being separated from parents. Children participatte in sensory activities, songs, games, pretend play and creative art activities. Toddlers are give ample opportunity for fine and gross motor development.
We offer options for children 3-5 years of age. Children may attend ‘Preschool Only’ from 9- 11:30a.m. (9-12 at Underwood Hills only) or enroll in a full day program which also includes a morning preschool program. Our programs combine teacher-and-child initiated activities designed to allow each child to develop at his or her own pace. Children are engaged in active exploration in a variety of learning centers.
- Hours of operation: 6:30a.m. to 6:00p.m., Monday through Friday.
- Open year round (including school breaks, snow days and summer months).
- Licensed by the State of Nebraska, Department of Health and Human Services.
- Our programs use Teaching Strategies Creative Curriculum System Birth-age 5.
Club “66” is dedicated to making extended school time a safe, fun and enjoyable experience. Arts and crafts, physical activity, center time, group activities, music, free movement and computers are among the many activities we offer. Children will be encouraged to participate in activities, but may choose to read, listen to music, do homework, or just have some quiet time to themselves. One of the goals for this program is to create a structured environment with many options so the children feel free to participate in any activity they choose. We strive to make Club 66 a place where children can’t wait to come to every day. Our staff use a facilitative approach; encouraging and guiding when necessary.
- All 10 elementary locations operate a Before & After School Program (Club 66).
- Hours of operations: 6:30-9:00am & 3:00-6:00pm, Monday through Friday on school days; 6:30am-6:00pm on pre-register care days and snow days.
- Open during Fall/Spring Intersessions, School Breaks, Snow Days and provide a Summer Program.
- All Sites are Licensed by the State of Nebraska’s, Department of Health and Human Services.