The mission of Region V is to encourage and support the provision of a full range of mental health, alcoholism and drug abuse programs and services to the youth and adults of Butler, Fillmore, Gage, Jefferson, Johnson, Lancaster, Nemaha, Otoe, Pawnee, Polk, Richardson, Saline, Saunders, Seward, Thayer, and York Counties in Nebraska. Specifically, Region V will monitor services and provide program, fiscal, and technical assistance to certified and licensed public and private service providers in the Region. The planning for and provision of services by Region V and its affiliate service providers will be "client-centered" and keep as its focus the provision of services which are community-based and individualized to meet the needs of the client and his or her family..
In support of the mission, vision, and values of the organization, Region V’s purposes are:
- To provide administrative supervision and funding for the operation and delivery of human services within the Region’s geographical boundaries.
- To enter into contracts with public or private agencies or individuals to accomplish the delivery of human services within the Region.
- To offer intensive therapeutic team facilitation to children who are at risk an out-of-home placement.
Region V is a political subdivision of the State of Nebraska as identified in the Comprehensive Community Mental Health Services Act, Nebraska Statutes 712-5004-5007, 71-5032-5034. The original bill, LB 302, was passed by the Nebraska Legislature in 1974. In 1977, LB 204 was passed, adding the provision of substance abuse services.
The Region’s statutory and regulatory responsibilities include:
- Organize and supervise comprehensive mental health and substance abuse services.
- Ensure that needed services are provided.
- Report annually to the Department of Health and Human Services regarding the expenditure of funds and the evaluation of services.
- Develop an annual regional plan based upon need and availability of resources.
- Appoint an advisory committee.
- Consult with advisory committees on planning, organizing, contracting, program evaluation, and fiscal analysis of services in the Region.