Christ the King Catholic Church preaches the Gospel of Jesus Christ in the Westside area of Omaha. As a dynamic community of faith, we form disciples after the heart of Jesus through worship, sacrament, teaching & study and service.
Christ the Catholic Chursh was founded in June of 1953. From its first days when Mass was celebrated at the Peony Park Ballroom, our participation in the life of the Church both here at Christ the KIng and as a part of the Archdiocese of Omaha is our response to the Lord's providence in our lives. From diverse backgrounds and cultures with an amazing spectrum of gifts and talents, we gather here to pray, to serve, and to celebrate that richness within our parish community.
As a part of its parish mission, Christ the King operates a pre-kindergarten through 8th grade school. Christ the King Catholic School, through the cooperative witness of faculty, staff and parents, provides a rigorous academic curriculum in a Christ-centered environment.
Brief History: In June of 1953, Archbishop Gerald T. Bergan announced the erection of a new parish in West Omaha, the first new parish in the Archdiocese in 34 years. It was to be known as Christ the King Parish, and Father Robert P. Hupp was appointed its founding pastor. Plans commenced immediately for development of the 13 acre tract of land which lay in the heart of the new parish.
In the early days of the parish, Father Hupp resided at St. James Orphanage. In a few months time, he was able to purchase a house near the parish property. Sunday Masses for the first year and a half were held at Peony Park.
By Christmas of 1953, contracts had been signed for a grade school and a gymnasium-auditorium, the latter to serve as a temporary Church.
In September of 1954, Christ the King School opened its doors to 123 pupils in eight grades. Four Sisters of the Servants of Mary were in charge.
The story since then has been one of continuous growth and expansion. In January of 1960, ground was broken for Christ the King's permanent church and rectory. The plans for the 1100 seat structure drew international architectural notice. The permanent church was dedicated in the summer of 1961.